·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's about time Viper! J/K.

Congrats on the loads, great looking crimps. That sizemaster makes a lot better looking crimps than my dang 600jr. I'll have to do some adjusting this weekend and post up some pictures.

You do realize that you're hooked FOR LIFE now right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is about time! hahaha

The Sizemaster is working great...didn't have to adjust anything after getting it back for MEC refurbishing.

Only thing I noticed is that it throws less powder than the bushing chart states for Titewad...it called for a #25 bushing and I had to go up to a #26...it is throwing 16.7 g with the #26 and the recipe I am using calls for 16.8.

Yep...HOOKED indeed!

·
Registered
360 Posts
ViperShooter said:
It is about time! hahaha

The Sizemaster is working great...didn't have to adjust anything after getting it back for MEC refurbishing.

Only thing I noticed is that it throws less powder than the bushing chart states for Titewad...it called for a #25 bushing and I had to go up to a #26...it is throwing 16.7 g with the #26 and the recipe I am using calls for 16.8.

Yep...HOOKED indeed!
That's typical. What is your wad pressure gauge read on the downstroke? I have found with 12g 7/8 oz. loads that I get better crimps if I back it off to next to nothing. All you really need is to have the wad firmly seated on the powder charge. WDO

·
Registered
574 Posts
whitedogone said:
That's typical. What is your wad pressure gauge read on the downstroke? I have found with 12g 7/8 oz. loads that I get better crimps if I back it off to next to nothing. All you really need is to have the wad firmly seated on the powder charge. WDO
Oh! I read in my reloading book that any pressure above 20 on the downstroke was good enough for modern loads. I've adjusted mine to seat the wad at 35 and the only thing different about my crimps, from looking at Vipers, is that I don't have any dishing. The crimp is almost flush at the top of the hull. :shock:

·
Registered
753 Posts
As we all have learned those MEC's work great when all the parts are in the right place!! Just had to rib you a little there Viper! It isn't like I haven't done worse. Good looking loads for your first time out. It is quite common to have to go up or down in bushing sizes and this is why a scale is so very important. I use the bushing guides as a starting point only and then see what my scale's tell me. My light loads are adjusted like others here have said about wad pressure. All I want is indication on the push arm that I indeed have some wad pressure. Just enough so I see the pointer move. It won't be long now before you are drooling over a 9000 or a Grabber. While the Sizemaster is a great machine and I have two of them I can get three or four times the loads from my 9000's and Grabber in the same amount of time. Welcome to the addiction. It only gets more fun and more expensive from here!!

Dan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wad pressure ***** was around 20 on my first one...then the last three it was around 35-38...the crimps seemed to turn out better on the last three...I think this might be because I partially compressed the WAA12L wad a tiny bit which gave more room...those 12L wad are pretty tall.

Good dig there Dan!! :oops: :D
Thanks again for the help on that deprime/resizer issue!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
ViperShooter said:
Wad pressure ***** was around 20 on my first one...then the last three it was around 35-38...the crimps seemed to turn out better on the last three...I think this might be because I partially compressed the WAA12L wad a tiny bit which gave more room...those 12L wad are pretty tall.

Interesting results, you should have gotten better crimps with less wad pressure. The dished in crimps are caused because the wad column is too low.

As long as there is no hole large enough to let shot escape, you are good to shoot em up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
waverider said:
ViperShooter said:

Interesting results, you should have gotten better crimps with less wad pressure. The dished in crimps are caused because the wad column is too low.

As long as there is no hole large enough to let shot escape, you are good to shoot em up.
I am gonna try just a slight bit of wad pressure on the next ones to see if I can get the crimp center to be higher...but the holes are very small as is...no shot can escape.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ViperShooter said:
waverider said:
ViperShooter said:

I am gonna try just a slight bit of wad pressure on the next ones to see if I can get the crimp center to be higher...but the holes are very small as is...no shot can escape.
It will get worse as you get a few fires on them hulls. WDO

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finished my first box of 25 tonight...and the final crimps ended up much better. Here are the adjustments I made...

1.) I only used very slight wad pressure (just as the ***** began to move)

2.) Readjusted the pre-crimp lower so it closed the hole tighter.

3.) Adjusted the cam full clockwise and also adjusted the crimp depth screw down.

It took several attempts between the pre-crimp and crimp depth adjustments to get the final result I wanted.

A few of them have a very very slight swirling that I can get rid of based on amount of pre-crimp...since the cam adjustment is set full up clockwise.

No more dishing...I think I am getting the hang of this. :D

·
Administrator
23,322 Posts
ViperShooter said:
I finished my first box of 25 tonight...and the final crimps ended up much better. Here are the adjustments I made...

1.) I only used very slight wad pressure (just as the ***** began to move)

2.) Readjusted the pre-crimp lower so it closed the hole tighter.

3.) Adjusted the cam full clockwise and also adjusted the crimp depth screw down.

It took several attempts between the pre-crimp and crimp depth adjustments to get the final result I wanted.

A few of them have a very very slight swirling that I can get rid of based on amount of pre-crimp...since the cam adjustment is set full up clockwise.

No more dishing...I think I am getting the hang of this. :D
Due to variation in hull length, you should aim for an occasional swirl. That is better than holes. Also insure that your crimps are well formed with some depth, nearly 1/16" is a good goal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.