Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hodgdon reloading site lists two Fiocchi hulls load data.
The choices are:
"Fiocchi plastic target shells"
"Fiocchi, Victory, PMC,and Nobel sport plastic shells (low base wad)
I have a lot of Fiocchi hulls to load but am confused to what data to use. Does anyone know the difference?

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
The Hodgdon reloading site lists two Fiocchi hulls load data.
The choices are:
"Fiocchi plastic target shells"
"Fiocchi, Victory, PMC,and Nobel sport plastic shells (low base wad)
I have a lot of Fiocchi hulls to load but am confused to what data to use. Does anyone know the difference?
Based on the info you provided it seems that base wad height is the difference. So, you could assume that IF the hulls you have came loaded with typical shot sizes for target loads that is what you have, Fiocchi plastic target shells. Or go out and find some Victory, PMC or Noble Sport hulls and cut them open and compare them to what you have.

Steve

·
Registered
842 Posts
Fiocchi has had multiple basewad heights over time. Note post #7 with pictures by Mokeman (Republican) on this thread - What is your favorite straight wall recipe?

When using Hodgdons website for load data, I usually look at the "Fiocchi, Victory, PMC,and Nobel sport plastic shells (low base wad)" section. That is likely the hull that you have on hand. Also that section has a better variety of potentially available powders.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The newer clear Fiocchi hulls have more volume than the older lavender and orange hulls. The newer clear hulls are very close to Rio and Cheddite hulls in volume.
Your stack height will have to be adjusted when new clear hulls using the older Hodgon Fiocchi hull data.
You are safe to use the new clear hulls with older data for taller base wad hulls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interestingly, I have 28ga Rio hunting loads with Fiocchi head stamps. I also have 28ga Rio hunting loads with Cheddite head stamps. At least in 28ga, I'm reloading both as "Cheddites".

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was recently given a box of once fired Fiocchi hulls in 410. Tried loading a couple on my sizemaster and the result with Winchester AAHS wads was bulged crimps that opened up after just one day on my loading bench. The only way I was able to get a decent crimp was to cut the leaves on the wads roughly in half with scissors and that is just too time consuming to make it worth the effort to load these hulls. Also have not a clue of how well they would pattern because I only put one shell together. Good news it did break the clay on High One.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts