Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was patterning the gun it had 2 failure to fires. No dents in the primer. I ejected the shell and tried again. It fired on the next go. Very strange. I thouroghly cleaned it last night. I used heavy game loads as advertised. There were no jams. a couple of times I had some difficulty getting a shell into the magazine. It was almost as if it was getting wedged against something. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Yep, that click with out denting the primer, is the infamous "Benelli Click"! It means that the bolt wasn't fully into battery, (shut and locked up), for some reason. You said you cleaned it. Maybe not enough, or it just needs breaking in. Some minute high spot may be hanging it up. Some folks recommend cleaning the spring in the stock on a new one. I never had to do so myself.

The wedging problem when trying to load one in the magazine, with one in the chamber is exactly the same thing. The bolt is not completely closed on the shell in the chamber.

Do not ride that bolt home, let it slam shut! Maybe even hand cycle it a couple of hours, empty of course, while watching TV. Might help it to wear in, if that is the problem. (Cheaper than lots of heavy loads fired to break it in!) But it may still need some heavy loads. Again, mine didn't.

Clyde

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
I would break in the gun a little more. You may want to double check the back of the chamber to make sure there is not any thing in where the lugs from the bolt face lock into it.

a couple of times I had some difficulty getting a shell into the magazine. It was almost as if it was getting wedged against something. Any Ideas?
Can you describe it with a little more detail?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Jugchoke is right on! Let that bolt slam! I have noticed that when others shoot my SBEII, they kind of guide the bolt home with their hand. This will ensure that the bolt does not seat properly. I place a shell in the chamber and let the bolt slam with full pressure.

Breaking in the gun may be a contributing factor, but when this problem exists, it is usually (in my experience) guiding the bolt with your hand.

Elliott

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Worc, all 4 of our Benellis, an M1, an M2 and two BULs will not load shells into the magazine, IF the bolt is not completely home on a cartridge in the chamber.

They go almost all the way into the magazine, then wedge against the shell lifter, because it doesn't raise quite high enough to get out of the shells way. I don't know if one could force it on into the magazine, it always told me that the bolt was not closed, so I correct that problem and the loading one goes away.

Clyde

·
Registered
819 Posts
Went through the same type problems with my new M2 a few weeks ago when I tried to shoot light loads in the gun. I was very disappointed.

I took 4 boxes of heavy loads out and threw skeet until I shot all 4 boxes (no jams with the heavy loads). Now it shoots anything I put in it.

It may take more (or less) heavy loads in your M2, but it sounds like a break-in issue.

JED

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gents, thanks for all the info. One other mishap to report. The red sight fell out of the mount. Called Benelli and they are sending a new one. Any reccomendations on after market sights?
By the way WORC your comments on gun fit and felt recoil are spot on. The first six shells through were three inch kicked like a mule and shot just a bit high. I put in the C shim and what a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
danogbdk said:
Gents, thanks for all the info. One other mishap to report. The red sight fell out of the mount. Called Benelli and they are sending a new one. Any reccomendations on after market sights?
By the way WORC your comments on gun fit and felt recoil are spot on. The first six shells through were three inch kicked like a mule and shot just a bit high. I put in the C shim and what a world of difference.
You might try the Limbsaver speed mount pad as well. It pops right in.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
And if it doesn't want to "pop right in" as mine, and someone else's on here, didn't, DON'T go grinding on either the pad or the frame!

The other guy did, and then it "popped" right out! I simply left the frame loose, put the pad in, then tightened up the frame to the stock. It certainly won't pop out, the frame will have to be loosened to ever take it off, without damage.

Now, that was with two synthetic stocks! I am not sure if the wood one is set up the same way or not. It looks like Limbsaver has cut their number of models down and now use the same one for numerous guns.

Clyde

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
And if it doesn't want to "pop right in" as mine, and someone else's on here, didn't, DON'T go grinding on either the pad or the frame!

The other guy did, and then it "popped" right out! I simply left the frame loose, put the pad in, then tightened up the frame to the stock. It certainly won't pop out, the frame will have to be loosened to ever take it off, without damage.

Now, that was with two synthetic stocks! I am not sure if the wood one is set up the same way or not. It looks like Limbsaver has cut their number of models down and now use the same one for numerous guns.

Clyde

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Clyde, I was reading your reply and going..."What??" until you got to the part about yours being synthetic. Mine is walnut and I was amazed to find that the wood stock is hollowed out and the factory pad pops in and out like a cork on a bottle. I was used to a solid wood stock and a pad that screws on. I just put a little Vaseline on the edges of my Limbsaver to help it go in.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Worc, all 4 of our Benellis, an M1, an M2 and two BULs will not load shells into the magazine, IF the bolt is not completely home on a cartridge in the chamber.

They go almost all the way into the magazine, then wedge against the shell lifter, because it doesn't raise quite high enough to get out of the shells way. I don't know if one could force it on into the magazine, it always told me that the bolt was not closed, so I correct that problem and the loading one goes away.
I know you and Fred said this in the other post. I that one I was just looking to see if the carrier would go up with the bolt out of battery and they did. We were not trying to load the mag tubes. I did today with the Monte and it would load a shell all the way in to the tube with the bolt back any amount.

I'd still like more feed back from danogbdk.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
So now I too, know how the wood one is set up!

Once the plastic frame was screwed down, mine absolutely wouldn't "pop" in. That is why I did it my way.

Wait a minute, I believe the M2 did pop in, (just discarded the frame), and it was the M1 that I had to do as I stated.

Sure did cut the felt recoil on both guns. Still can't tell the difference between them on recoil, though. The M2 with the Comfortech and the M1 without.

Thanks for the info!

Clyde

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WORC, I wish I could remember all the specific details so I could provide you with more info. What I can tell you is since the first day its not done it again. Jugchoke's response seems quite reasonable. If memory serves me correctly the carrier still moved. It felt as if the spring was too tight or the Mag tube was allready full. when I retracted the shell from the tube it seemed as if were in crooked. When I cleared the gun completely and re-tried it did everything correctly. Sorry that is the best I can do until it happens again. I have 1 more question. The forend seems a little loose. There is a very slight wobble. Is this normal?

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
The M2 tends to have a tighter fitting forearm. It is a mass produced gun and yours could just have a little play. Make sure you cap is tight and it should be fine as long as it does not bother you.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
danogbdk said:
WORC, I wish I could remember all the specific details so I could provide you with more info. What I can tell you is since the first day its not done it again. Jugchoke's response seems quite reasonable. If memory serves me correctly the carrier still moved. It felt as if the spring was too tight or the Mag tube was allready full. when I retracted the shell from the tube it seemed as if were in crooked. When I cleared the gun completely and re-tried it did everything correctly. Sorry that is the best I can do until it happens again.
It is odd that both Fred and I have one type of failure to be able to put shells in the magazine, while Worc does not with the Monte.

danogbdk, try chambering a shell, and then hold the bolt back a fraction of an inch, with the bolt handle, then try to put a shell in the magazine. See if that is like your previous problem.

Mine goes almost all the way, and then "binds" up at about the time the metal head is starting into the magazine. The carrier lifts up, but just not far enough to let the shell straighten out and go on in. It tells me every time, if I have a problem with my reloads fully chambering. If I load it singly, it can and will give the Benelli click, when it happens. Never have the problem with factory loads.

Clyde

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.