Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My granddaughter started in 4H trap this year and I purchased a used BT99 for her with 32 and 34 inch barrels.
Well I really was liking the trap range and bought a 1992 dated Citori 325 sporting with 28 inch barrels for doubles and 5 stand stuff.
Any tips, tricks for upkeep on this shotgun?
Bought at an auction with a total to the door cost of $1175, case and all. How did I do????
I put the Kickeze on it because it just had the hard butt-plate.
Fell in love with it when I opened the box.
It is very stiff though, what can I do to make it smooth to open?
Thanks for all and any advice.
Wood Flooring Floor Bumper Hardwood

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Great looking gun!!! Congrats. I usually grease the bearing surface between the forend and reciever as well as the circle on the face of the lug. Sometimes a little on the sides of the monoblock inside of the reciever.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Fine gun and a fair price. The only thing you might want to do is lengthen the forcing cones to 1.5". Curious about the French flag motif on the recoil pad. There are two very fine threads in the gun smithing and restoration forum by William R Wood on maintaining your japanese Browning. These are quite excellent.

Reactions: oldmanshootin

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Congratulations on your “new” Citori!

They’re extremely simple to care for; just a thin film of oil on the exterior and the mating mechanical parts of the action should keep your gun running for years of enjoyment.

I’d also suggest buying a rebuild kit with firing pins and springs in case something breaks. The kits aren’t very expensive and you could do any necessary parts exchange yourself with basic tools.

The stiffness of the action is symptomatic of a gun with little use. I would discourage you from taking any steps to shortcut the break in period I.e. filing or grinding. Let your gun take its natural course and it’ll get better with regular use.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's stiff to open, that's probably an indicator that the gun hasn't been shot much. I have bought a couple new citoris and they were stiff to open when new but have softened up a bit as they get some wear. Have fun with the new gun!

Edit: Ozark was quicker on the keyboard than I was.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
My granddaughter started in 4H trap this year and I purchased a used BT99 for her with 32 and 34 inch barrels.
Well I really was liking the trap range and bought a 1992 dated Citori 325 sporting with 28 inch barrels for doubles and 5 stand stuff.
Any tips, tricks for upkeep on this shotgun?
Bought at an auction with a total to the door cost of $1175, case and all. How did I do????
I put the Kickeze on it because it just had the hard butt-plate.
Fell in love with it when I opened the box.
It is very stiff though, what can I do to make it smooth to open?
Thanks for all and any advice.
View attachment 37072
You did very well!

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
The easiest way to make opening easier is to go shoot it - A LOT! Many consider the 325 to be the best of the X25 series of guns. Easy to maintain, do the same as you are doing with your granddaughter;s trap guns,

·
Registered
274 Posts
As others have said being hard to open means the gun has not been used much. If that is the case and the picture looks like the gun was well cared for then you did well on the price. I own 4 Citoris. Two 16 gauges, a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge. All great guns. You should have no problems with yours and will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
You did good and at a great price, you were lucky to find one as I have been looking for months now. ENJOY

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
The 325 is a great gun. As previously suggested, a spare set of firing pins and springs is good to have on hand. I'd suggest getting a set of J&P pins and springs. Once those are installed you are ready for many thousands of rounds without misfires. Good luck and enjoy your 325.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beautiful shotgun! You got a great deal on that browning and sounds like it was used very little. Ive always liked the looks of the 325's.

·
Premium Member
19,775 Posts
Nice looking shotgun. I suggest that you remove the buttstock and clean the innards with kerosene or mineral spirits. Then, once it dries, lubricate with Breakfree CLP or similar lubricant/protectant. Pay special attention to friction points where one piece of metal rotates or slides over another piece.

You might want to remove the firing pins by punching out the retaining pins for each and cleaning the pins and the recess they are in. Lubricate and reassemble. The Citori is "user friendly" for maintenance. Let me know if you have questions or concerns about how to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm new to this forum area myself. Nice find for both yourself and your grand daughter! I remember when the 325 came out; it was quite popular for the sporting clay/double(s) shooters. One thing I'd add is that the BT's had a tendency to bore-rust in humid areas (like within an hour or 2 after shooting even). Keep an eye on the bores of both guns, and as mentioned above, your price paid should continue to make you smile. I like STOS grease (sold by P/W loaders) as it seems to be a "lighter" lubricant, ya might try it on your stiff 325. Maybe someone at your club has a jar you can dip into for a trial (just an alternate thought)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I like STOS grease (sold by P/W loaders) as it seems to be a "lighter" lubricant, ya might try it on your stiff 325. Maybe someone at your club has a jar you can dip into for a trial (just an alternate thought)?
I have been using MIL-COMM TW25B® synthetic grease, MIL-COMM MC2500® synthetic oil and MIL-COMM MC25® Cleaner/Degreaser on most of my firearms. I was on their Pro-Staff when they were targeting the saltwater fishing industry so I have boxes of the stuff. I am also not afraid to use non-chlorine Brake-Kleen to get all the gunk out of metal parts only. I use it on the race car all the time and it cleans really well, just keep it away from plastic and wood. The internals of this gun were pretty dry so I'm glad I got some lube and protectant in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts