Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to learn to use a shotgun. I don't hunt, so it'll be for self defense/HD, and for fishing/camping trips. But mostly, it'll be to learn on. And the best opportunity to practice I have will be Skeet. Not going to compete, just practice.

I've read a bunch here and elsewhere, been to my local store, and narrowed what I liked. The Benelli felt/shouldered comfortably. The Beretta just didn't fit with the fancy piston recoil system. Not really interested in any of the others I looked at.

So I'm between an M2 Field with comfortech or the Supernova with comfortech. Leaning towards the M2 field because it takes one more possible error out of the equation, me short shucking it. Price isn't a huge factor, I'm only going to buy one gun, and then I'll practice.

So my question really, is about configuration. I know longer is better for Skeet, but to carry when fishing/camping, is 24" a reasonable compromise?

Also, if I get the 24", can I still add rifled barrel and mount a sight later. The tactical versions and slug guns seem to have a mounting system for a rail or scope, or offer ghost rings. Do all the receivers have that option, or do I have to buy the slug version and then get a non-rifled barrel?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, that is THE question - what length? Can you shoot skeet with a 24" barrel? Sure. However, home defense, hunting and sporting all require different things, and trying to get them all from one gun isn't always a good idea.

for HD, I'd really want an 18" open choke barrel, and I'd prefer a pump gun, not a semi-auto.

For hunting, depending on what you're hunting, 24"-28" barrel with changeable chokes.

For clays I would want AT LEAST 26", although most people shoot 28"-30". I think there are skeet/sporting clays clubs that won't let you shoot 24" barrels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blarg,

Thanks for the input, and I agree with everything you said. I hadn't realized there were clubs that don't allow 24" barrels.

A couple of points regarding home defense. I have a revolver in a push button R&D lockbox, a cell phone, and two >100 lumen flashlights by my bed.

If I need to walk around, I'll take a handgun in a clip on holster, and a very bright flashlight. If we actually hear someone break into the house, which will trigger the dog, all bedrooms are upstairs. So the shotguns role in HD would be to stop anyone from coming up the stairs. Odds of that happening where I live are super slim, and I think our dog barking would make any sane person leave.

So . . . I guess I want to make sure it will do camp gun/alaska fishing, and clays for fun and practice.

I had thought pump initially. But there will be likely long periods I don't shoot, and I didn't grow up shooting a pump. In the store I pulled the supernova forearm back to confirm it was empty before shouldering it. It was several tries at shouldering it before I realized I hadn't slid it forward. Had to laugh at myself, but that's why I'm now leaning towards the semi-auto.

About my other question, do you know if I can mount things to the receiver if the gun doesn't come stock with ghost rings or a scope mount?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
585 Posts
toddler said:
Blarg,

Thanks for the input, and I agree with everything you said. I hadn't realized there were clubs that don't allow 24" barrels.

A couple of points regarding home defense. I have a revolver in a push button R&D lockbox, a cell phone, and two >100 lumen flashlights by my bed.

If I need to walk around, I'll take a handgun in a clip on holster, and a very bright flashlight. If we actually hear someone break into the house, which will trigger the dog, all bedrooms are upstairs. So the shotguns role in HD would be to stop anyone from coming up the stairs. Odds of that happening where I live are super slim, and I think our dog barking would make any sane person leave.

So . . . I guess I want to make sure it will do camp gun/alaska fishing, and clays for fun and practice.

I had thought pump initially. But there will be likely long periods I don't shoot, and I didn't grow up shooting a pump. In the store I pulled the supernova forearm back to confirm it was empty before shouldering it. It was several tries at shouldering it before I realized I hadn't slid it forward. Had to laugh at myself, but that's why I'm now leaning towards the semi-auto.

About my other question, do you know if I can mount things to the receiver if the gun doesn't come stock with ghost rings or a scope mount?

Thanks,
Todd
depends on the gun. Most Mossbergs/Remingtons come pre-drilled for a variety of scope mounts. Some barrels have an extended "rib" that hangs over the reciever that you can mount scopes on (for example, the Stoeger 2000, which I have, the reciever is not drilled for a scope, but the slug barrel has a piece than extends over the top of the reciever that mounts a scope and comes off with the barrel. My Mossberg 500, however, has a pre-drilled reciever.)

Depends on what you want. For a hunting gun, the only time you really want a scope is when you're shooting slugs, and its nice to be able to remove the scope and the slug barrel together. The Mossberg is more of an all-around gun, and if you're using it as a "security" gun, you might want to mount ghost rings with the regular barrel.

Lots of choices.

Because you mention Alaska, I'd seriously think about a pump gun. It gets DAMN cold up there, and metals do strange things in the cold. The only real reliable way to cycle a shotgun under ANY conditions is a pump...it's like the revolver of the shotgun world. It's really not THAT difficult. Just go out somewhere with a couple of boxes of ammo, and you'll be an expert in no time. It's not rocket science. Before I bought my auto I was shooting doubles on a sporting clays course with my Mossberg 500 - it wasn't pretty, and I certainly wasn't shooting them as well as I do with an auto, but it IS doable, and I see other people doing it all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does get very cold up in Alaska. But if it's that cold, I'm not going fishing!

I'll have to think about it, but I have a feeling I'll go with a 24 or a 26" barrel, and maybe get 24" slug barrel later if I ever feel I need more accuracy with slugs. The slug barrels don't have a rib, so I could put on express sights.

Food for thought. Could buy two pumps for the price of the M2, but I'm more a one gun type. One pistol, one shotgun . . .

Todd

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
My M2 came with a 21 inch barrel. Can use it that way, or better yet, I screwed in a vented PolyChoke II. Now it is like a 24 or 25 inch. Shoots skeet just fine and will work well in the field as well. All those settings, right there waiting for just a twist of the wrist.

I also later picked up a 28 inch barrel for it. For the use it gets, I should have saved my money!

In my mind, (and shoulder), the Comfortech Stock adds exactly nothing! I also have a M1 with the standard synthetic stock and absolutely can not tell any difference in the recoil! Both were nasty, sharp and vicious in the recoil department. Much more felt recoil than my one pound lighter Benelli Ultra Light, (BUL)!

That is until I took off the factory, (highly touted by the factory BTW!), recoil pads and replaced them with Limbsaver recoil pads. Made all the difference in the world! Now they are almost down there with the BUL!

Clyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.