Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my decision down to two guns - The Browning BT-99 w/adjustable comb and the Verona LX680GCT-12.

I have to say, I REALLY like the Verona. Lots of features for the money, the O/U configuration really turns me on, and the gun just looks awsome. But at the same time, the BT-99 is a proven winner. The only drawbacks are it's a single shot (I can see myself getting into doubles), and it's sorta ugly IMHO.

At this point I'm pretty much settled on the Verona, but I don't want to get into this thing and have it not measure up to what I'm looking for. I do plan on compteting with this gun, and it will see a minimum of 400 rounds a month, more during competition weekends. It will be by no means used "professionally", but it's going to get shot quite a bit. Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Off the top of my head between the 2, if I could only afford one and I had a wish to shoot doubles, then by all means I'd buy the Verona.

The BT-99 is a great gun, and while I shoot mostly singles at trap, I chose the Citori because of the same reasons you stated. "I could see myself getting into doubles".

IMHO a o/u (or a s/s) shotgun, regardless of brand, is the ideal doubles Trap gun. Two barrels, 2 chokes. How can you beat that??? Arguments abound on this subject. Some praise the "Auto" but you are back to the one choke issue with doubles.

In the end ,buy what you like, that is more important than all the opinions :)

Happy shooting.............................Levi

PS I'm not familiar with the Verona model that you mentioned. Go to the "I love my----" forum and click on Verona for more info.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
You may want to do a little research on used gun values before you buy. My guess is that the BT-99 will hold a LOT more of its' value for a much longer period than will the Verona.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting to drift back toward the BT-99...there's a lot more proven performance there. And I agree with it holding it's value better - plus I think it would be much easier to sell down the line.

I always think about doubles though...if I want to try it I can always borrow my future-father-in-law's O/U if I don't have on myself yet.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Why buy new? If I only bought new guns that I wanted I'd never be able to afford half of the ones I have now. Look around for a good previously owned gun. If you want an O/U look around for a good Citori Trap or Rem 3200. You can pick them up for what you'd pay for the BT-99 and you'd have an O/U that's better than the Verona and it would last you for years.

Tim

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Get a Combo set! :wink: Sure it will be a little more money, but look arround a little bit. Have you checked in at the web sites for Joeletchen, Higradeshooters, Jaquas, Indianagunclub, Pacificsportingarms, and the like?? They have lots of what you are looking for and are all very reputable folks to do business with. They were selling guns all over the country long before the Internet was COOL! A Browning Sporting Clays Edition with the high rib would be about perfect!

BP

·
Registered
12 Posts
get a verona you will be very happy with it. I got one (lx692 gold sporting) and use it for all shooting. I have won several trophies with it and have not encountered any problems. Verona also comes with a lifetime warranty. :D :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Just do what I do..mull over it for 16 months before you buy anything. You know as soon as you buy it, buyers remorse will kick in and you will feel like you made the wrong choice, happens everytime. But then you start reading about your gun, taking it to the range a few times, and finally come to terms with your purchase and start feeling better.

Then it starts all over again. I guess in life the "I wants" is way more powerful than the "I haves".

Bob

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
gunlover said:
get a verona you will be very happy with it. I got one (lx692 gold sporting) and use it for all shooting. I have won several trophies with it and have not encountered any problems. Verona also comes with a lifetime warranty. :D :D
Has there been any developments in the BC Outdoors/PMC/Verona business problems? I am not sure if Verona has a warranty at all right now, let alone a lifetime warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.