Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a beat up old Remington 870 for $100 from a friend. Any thing I should look for or replace before I shoot it? I want to make sure its safe. I'm assuming thousands of rounds have been through it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
870 of any age should be a pretty reliable gun, I can't think of any replaceable part that would be a safety concern aside from the locking bolt, just make sure it isn't broken or rounded off. When you say the gun is "beat up" also inspect the barrel carefully for rust pitting that might weaken it, especially in the chamber area. If you have any doubts about the gun or your ability to inspect those areas, by all means take it to a gunsmith for inspection, you got bought it for cheap. Last thing, take that pump gun out and break some clays! :)

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
907 Posts
One of the toughest guns made. There’s a reason many waterfowl hunters still cling to theirs. You can get it muddy and dirty and frozen. It will still cycle. Good advice above, take it and have it checked out since you’re a new gun owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Remington 870 combination identified in the best value and probably the best option assuming you intend to hunt deer with a shotgun. If you are hunting only upland birds and waterfowl, the Remington 870 without the rifled barrel option is the best. (I have only about 4 or 5 870's left in my collection.)

__

1 - 5 of 5 Posts