Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning with my 5 year old son for a bit of casual squirrel hunting. Only saw 3 of them, and only bagged one, but this was my son's first time seeing a successful shoot. He was excited but also fully understood that an animal had just lost its life.
20 ga. Stoeger single barrel, full choke, #6 shot.

· Registered
106 Posts
athappyhiker said:
Went out this morning with my 5 year old son for a bit of casual squirrel hunting. Only saw 3 of them, and only bagged one, but this was my son's first time seeing a successful shoot. He was excited but also fully understood that an animal had just lost its life. 20 ga. Stoeger single barrel, full choke, #6 shot.
Its nice to see someone who understands hunting. I know quite a few people who go out to the woods just to shoot everything they see and half the time they only wound the animal and leave it.

Good job doing things right and tell your son congrats on his first hunt.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shogan191 said:
Good for you and for him. Nice job.

BTW, nice to see the whistle.
Yeah - he knows that if he gets separated from me that he should "hug a tree and blow the whistle" - NOT go looking for me.

Next time I take him out I think I'll put a blaze organge childrens vest on him - not required this time of year, but it will make me feel better.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Only thing better than seeing a youngin with his first kill is seeing a youngin eat his first kill and then ask for more! Congrats! :)

· Registered
727 Posts
Fine looking boy, I know you're proud. (I agree with the orange vest. Better safe than sorry)

· Registered
4,442 Posts
Way to go. My Dad started me at six and shot my first quail covey rise at nine. I'm 70 now and still love shooting clays and the joy of the hunt. Put that vest on that fine looking young man as I know you will have many happy hours together shooting and hunting. Best wishes.

· Registered
40 Posts
Where do you get to hunt in June?
In the soviet state of NJ it is usually just a fall season.
And a five year old shooting a 20 is pretty impressive I did not start my kids out until they were 11.
Well done.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kml said:
Where do you get to hunt in June?
In the soviet state of NJ it is usually just a fall season.
And a five year old shooting a 20 is pretty impressive I did not start my kids out until they were 11.
Well done.
VA has a 2 week long squirrel season in June.
I should clarify - he did not shoot the squirrel- he was just walking the hunt with me and this was his first time seeing a successful kill.
He's way too small for a shotgun - even a 410 - right now. I will be starting him out on BB and 22LR soon though.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm glad someone else asked the "in season" question as I was a little worried about it myself. I had never heard of a spring/summer season for any game except Turkey. Since the hunting lesson was conducted absolutely legally I can absolutely add my hearty "way to go dad!" to all the others already expressed. I regret a lot of things I've done in my life, but spending a lot of time hunting and fishing with my son when he was small is definitely not one of them.

One of my wife's and my favorite snap shots of our son is one of him standing next to a hole in the ice, bundled up in so much clothes you can't even see his face, diligently jigging with his snoopy rod and reel for bluegill, at about age 3. Now he's 30, still a perch jerker, and a pretty fair hunter, and a guy that people just like to be around too. Of course I'm completely prejudiced.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.