Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning with my 5 year old son for a bit of casual squirrel hunting. Only saw 3 of them, and only bagged one, but this was my son's first time seeing a successful shoot. He was excited but also fully understood that an animal had just lost its life.
20 ga. Stoeger single barrel, full choke, #6 shot.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shogan191 said:
Good for you and for him. Nice job.

BTW, nice to see the whistle.
Yeah - he knows that if he gets separated from me that he should "hug a tree and blow the whistle" - NOT go looking for me.

Next time I take him out I think I'll put a blaze organge childrens vest on him - not required this time of year, but it will make me feel better.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kml said:
Where do you get to hunt in June?
In the soviet state of NJ it is usually just a fall season.
And a five year old shooting a 20 is pretty impressive I did not start my kids out until they were 11.
Well done.
VA has a 2 week long squirrel season in June.
I should clarify - he did not shoot the squirrel- he was just walking the hunt with me and this was his first time seeing a successful kill.
He's way too small for a shotgun - even a 410 - right now. I will be starting him out on BB and 22LR soon though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.