Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to break down and hit a local range this weekend. What all do I need to bring with me? I'm not sure If I need to purchase shells, clays, eye protection, ear protection etc.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Call the range....they will be able to tell you what they sell at the club house and what you need to bring......1st: Bring eye and ear protection

2d: Your gun....all the rental guns may be out on the course

3d: Shells 2 3/4 in w/ shot no bigger than #7.5.

Have fun.

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
01lariat said:
Bring money.
don't forget to tip the trap kids.........a shell bag or vest is helpful as well

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oneounceload said:
01lariat said:
Bring money.
don't forget to tip the trap kids.........a shell bag or vest is helpful as well
I went ahead and picked up a vest that holds 28 shells and has all sorts of giant pockets. how many shells should I bring per round?
also, how much do you usually tip per round? I don't want to start out and have people think i'm a jerk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would suggest getting a shell pouch or a shell bag to carry your shells in. Loading yourself up with a box of ammo in the loops is going to get uncomfortable. A decent shell pouch will hold 50 rounds or with the bag you can carry your extra boxes of ammo and just put the number of shells you need in your vest pockets before you go into the station.

I generally tip the trap kids about $5/round wether it's 50 or 100. If it's just me out with a trapper I'll offer them an opportunity to shoot at a few stations too.

Paul

·
Registered
296 Posts
The first time I went I went with absolutely nothing. Rented the gun, paid for the rounds, bought the shells, they provided eye/ear protection. Just try to have fun!

Then before your second time you can break the bank on all the accessories.

After my first time there I spent about 15-20 minutes watching people shoot and seeing what they wore/carried. Turns out, its pretty much everything. Vest/no vest, pouch/no pouch, shooting bag/no shooting bag, gloves/no gloves, earmuffs/earplugs/both. My instructor gave me the best advice I thought which was buy a lot of everything at first and try it out. What you dont use is easily resold. So I hit here and ebay and bought 3 or 4 shooting bags and pouches of different sizes trying to find the right one - which I still havent. I found I liked an longer/oversized Browning vest with the Reactar pads instead of wearing an extra layer or two. Anyway, it will only take a week or two before you're starting to see what works for you and what doesnt. Browning's Broken Birds line seems to be a lower cost line of vests/bags if you're looking to try something out before breaking the bank. Or like I said, ebay. The canvas/leather shooting bag I like most so far I bought for $5 if only I could get that musty smell out!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks so much for all the great advice guys. I'm a little overwhelmed with all this and don't want to look like an idiot as soon as I walk in the door, although i'm sure that will happen as soon as I try to hit the clays...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
For each round of trap or skeet, you need 25 shells.For 5 stand, 60 and for Sporting clays 105-110 (b/c you may have a few broken birds and you'll need to shoot them over).

The most important thing to bring is an understanding that no matter how good a bird hunting shot you are, the clays will challenge you and you might not hit enough to give you some self-predetermined total that your ego needs.

I could barely break 1/2 when I started and I had hunted for years.....now years later , I am shooting in tournaments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I really don't have a huge ego to begin with. In addition to that, I've been drooling all over my new shotgun all week long. At this point I don't really care if I hit anything as long as I get to shoot the damn thing. :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sera is right. I am a decent trap shooter(not great, not bad) and I am still humbled when I shoot sporting clays. Don't worry about looking like a jerk. Most shotgun shooters are good people, and we were all beginners once! Just have fun!

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
chickenmcnasty said:
First time out, what do I need?
A firm grasp of the rules of safety.

Safety is number 1, fun is number 2

·
Registered
114 Posts
a safe understanding of how to handle your gun!!, again sunday i was on a squad where an "experienced" shooter turned around in the cage after the first shell in his autoloader didn't eject cleanley, this is really starting to work on my nerves, it seems to be happening more all the time, this and guys who dont even know how to work their guns, when i started, i went through a backyard lesson on how to use the autoloader i was going to use on the course, i dont know if some guys are too proud to have a little lesson on how to use a gun, or if they are just that stupid, no-one cares how well you shoot as long as you handle your gun saftely

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
If you are going alone, be sure to mention in the clubhouse that you are doing this for the first time, and ask what course rules are, and etiquette protocol. Just doing this will likely open up a conversation where you'll learn all you need to know.

No one was born knowing this stuff, so don't feel bad asking. Most ranges have free ear plugs, or maybe they charge 50 cents. Wear glasses or ask for them. Go ahead and bring your vest. Most ranges I have been to have everything you need to shoot and you will be welcomed.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.