Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for my first two hour lesson yesterday which was a total blast - thanks to Ken Schafer at Bull Run for his hard work in getting 4 total beginners to really enjoy themselves breaking targets on Day 1. We all loved it. Ended up hitting 5/5 in my lesson but only 13/25 on the round of wobble trap we did afterwards. Shot mostly 12g o/u but also tried the .20 semi-auto during the lesson. I honestly did not see a huge recoil difference and felt fine afterwards but do have the smallest of twinges this morning. I could see if you were shooting 4+ rounds how it might compound itself? Or maybe just a good padded vest would be a wise investment.

I've been devouring as many posts here as I can and appreciate all the good advice. I will be renting a gun for the time being but I could see myself buying a good quality new gun in the Spring. I have a great shooting center (Bull Run) about 10 minutes from my office so I could see going once or twice a week mixing in trap/skeet/sporting. I will probably still be renting for the time being which allows me to try out each kind more than once but that cost can really add up over even just a few month period.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
If you become an addict to clays shooting--like me--you will own several guns in your shooting career.

Try to try out as many as you can and then BUY ONE and go shooting.

BTW, a light 20g can kick more than a heavier 12g.I hate recoil and use a very heavy 12g and light 1 oz loads + I have a RAD recoil reducer on the stock of my gun.

Most of all --have FUN.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Oh yes, have fun indeed. Welcome to the psychosis.

For recoil reduction, I'm with sera. Heavy gun, light loads. None of that padded vest silliness. Unless you shoot where it never gets hot or like sweating unnecessarily. Add recoil reducer to stock if necessary.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Along with sera russell and MRPOWER, I strongly favor heavy guns and light loads. Never having shot a Krieghoff, yseterday I visited their web site to get some idea of what the characteristics are of this gun which is so highly regarded in sporting clays competition. The 12 ga K-80 weighs 8 lbs 12 oz, and the 20 ga K-20 weighs 7 lbs 8 oz - so both are definitely not lightweights. Maybe not something everyone would want to lug around for a full day of upland hunting, but supports the idea that it is definitely worth considering a heavier gun if you are looking for mild recoil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts