Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to start compiling the components for my reloading endeavor. Wad selection is a bit confusing to me so I hope someone can help me out with this. It appears that there are a myriad of wad choices out there. While on Cabela's today I noticed that they have claybuster wads on sale at $9.99 per 500. While looking at them I noticed that they list different styles of the wads. There are Winchester style and Remington style. What are the differences of styles and are they interchangeable in different hulls?

Are there different wads that I should be looking at instead?

I've been saving my hulls for quite a while and have around 5000 mixed of different brands, mostly Winchester, Remington and Estate. Are all hulls equally re-loadable?

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Your Winchester and Remington hulls can use the same components. These use wads that are designed for tapered wall(inside wall) hulls.
The Estate hulls will require a different wad for best results. That wad is the Federal style for straight wall hulls.
If you decide what style hull that you want to load and what shot load that you want to shoot, we can tell you what wads to get and offer you several choices of mailorder places that are somewhat cheaper than Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander.
This book will answer many questions and help you decide what loadings you want to try.
http://www.gamaliel.com/datahandbooks/l ... dition.asp

Remember to select a recipe that you want to try before buying components, not buy components and try to make them work.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Bllade said:
Thanks Curly.
I ordered Lyman's book and another for MEC. I'll get some reading done and let you know from there.
Please tell me that you did NOT buy
'MEC Shotshell Reloading Secrets'. That is nothing that cannot be gotten here free and without the authors waste of words patting himself on the back. But that is just my opinion after reading both volumes of his work.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Bllade said:
Yeah, guilty.... I do not even have an MEC press. Just wanted to read what he says about it for future reference.
Well, It can't hurt anything except putting a unneeded nick in your wallet :mrgreen:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
Well, It can't hurt anything except putting a unneeded nick in your wallet :mrgreen:
There is more information in one thread by Curly Nohair than that whole waste of paper. Not that I'm a Curly fan, but I'd have probably sold my 650 if I hadn't read his advice here.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
dkmenefee said:
Curly-Nohair said:
There is more information in one thread by Curly Nohair than that whole waste of paper. Not that I'm a Curly fan, but I'd have probably sold my 650 if I hadn't read his advice here.
Now I am crushed :(

·
Registered
808 Posts
Curly,
Just a little facetious understatement! After all, it might turn him off if everyone jumped in and said your the cat's meow or the alpha omega of everything MEC.
Please forgive me, I am repentant.
Dennis

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
dkmenefee said:
Curly,
Just a little facetious understatement! After all, it might turn him off if everyone jumped in and said your the cat's meow or the alpha omega of everything MEC.
Please forgive me, I am repentant.
Dennis
Oh, I feel so much better now, almost nobody likes to be disliked, well except for a few folks around here. I have very delicate feelings after working in a machine shop for 30+ years, doanchaknow. :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.