Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new here, and have 0 experience with shotguns (I'm a bit knowledgeable in pistols).

I was told from a couple people that having a shotgun for self defense at home is the best and most efficient, even better than a handgun. Is this statement true? Is it worth buying a shotgun if I already have pistols?

If it is worth it, what should I look at? I was also told that getting a short barrel is the best (for corridor usage and around corners), and was told to look at the minimum size, 18".

What do you guys think? What should I get? What should I be looking at? What are the different shell types, and which one should I use? I have no intention to use it for sport/hunting, only self defense. I'm also not looking to spend a lot of money on it, so ideally a decent, yet cheap shotgun would be great.

Thanks in advance =)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
/

Look at the NEF "Pardner" in 12 gauge. It is a very serviceable Pump for about $229.00

Since you only need it for Home Defense, rather than any field work, it would be unneccessary to invest in anything else.

Oil it up good with Automatic Transmission Fluid mixed with STP Oil Treatment and it won't rust.

/

/ Git'er Done.

/ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 are the most popular for home defense. You should be able to find a good used 870 or 500 for less than $200 pretty easily. They're less than $300 new.

00 Buckshot is the most accessible effective round for home defense. Start off training/practicing with light birdshot loads until you are comfortable with the operation of the gun. Then get some different buckshot loads and see which one works best in your gun. Buy more of that and run it occassionally. Most of your training can be done with lighter loads.

Don't add anything to the gun until you have shot it and trained with it. That way you'll know what you want/need. My home defense shotgun has the original wood stock and all I've added is a sling and a light.

There's a lot of information in the Tactical/HD Forum (The Basement). Check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies, guys!

I looked at the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590, and noticed that these are series. Are all of them generally the same in use and efficiency, or do you suggest specific ones?

Also, after some looking, I noticed some people say that the Maverick 88 is also a good one to have, and it is less than $150 even. What do you guys think about this one?

I'll be doing some shopping and research this weekend at a gun show =)

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
The Maverick is the economy version of the Mossberg 500. The safety has been moved to the trigger guard more like on a Remington. I think there are some internal differences but the main functional difference is the safety. I have no direct experience but have heard that they are decent guns.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Maverick 88 is also a good one to have,-----
It is six of one, and half a dozen of the other. Both would be fine for your purpose.

I don't think you should invest in the Mossberg 500 or Remingtion, if you are absolutely certain you do not want to hunt small game at all.

But all too often, people get into one kind of firearm, only to discover they hunger for more knowledge, and more experience.

In that sense, buy MORE gun than you need, and you won't regret the expense.

/
/

·
Registered
822 Posts
Stotguns are good for home defense because they fire a shell with a number of projectiles that create multiple wound tracts in a small area (00 buck patterns at HD range are fairly tight) which leads to a quick end to a situation that you didn't want to be in to begin with. Handguns can get the job done, shotguns do it better.

As far as which gun to get for home defense, I would NOT recomend basing your descion solely on price. This is the safety of your family and self that we are talking about here. I would also not recomend lubricating/rust proofing any firearm with automotive products. That's just silly. They may work, but there are better choices available that are designed for those purposes.

Shorter bbls are the norm for HD guns due to the fact that it's easier to negotiate through ones home and shoulder the gun if the end of the bbl isn't running into the wall.

Having said that, it's not really considered to be a good idea to go roaming through your house with a loaded shotgun in the middle of the night if you suspect that there is an intruder. It's better to stay in your room with the door closed and wait for the police to clear the house unless you have to go get your kids out of their room(s) and bring them back to your room and then wait with the door closed for the police to arrive and clear the house. It is refered to as home defense and not home tactical room clearing for a reason.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Questions such as the OP's always seem to me to require writing a book to fully answer. But, to be brief, I use a Mossberg 500 Persuader 18 1/2 inch barrel - 7 rounds in the mag tube, chamber empty, safety OFF, and the trigger PULLED. With the trigger pulled I do not need to finger the slide release to pump the weapon. That way when I'm awaken at 3am from a sound sleep, I only need to remember to pump the weapon and I'm ready! I use 00 buck. I plan to mount a light so as to be able to see who to shoot. I have 200 lumen lights but am thinking of going with something in the 50 lumen range because I have tried using the 200 lumen at night, with some outside light coming in the windows from streetlights, etc and I find the 200 lumen light can even give me some momentary night blindness (not good!!). Maybe a laser would be nice too to make sure I hit where I want in a moment of high stress - 00 buck will go thru inside and outside wall in many newer homes. It will be bad enough if you shoot a BG, but if you also hit your neighbors house it will be even worse. Remember, it is against the law to shoot anyone - even a BG - however you will use the defense of 'home defense' in protecting you and your family (keep a criminal defense attorney's phone number in your wallet and don't talk to the police w/o your attorney present !!!)

NMduckslayer makes a good point:
it's not really considered to be a good idea to go roaming through your house with a loaded shotgun in the middle of the night if you suspect that there is an intruder. It's better to stay in your room with the door closed and wait for the police to clear the house unless you have to go get your kids out of their room(s) and bring them back to your room and then wait with the door closed for the police to arrive and clear the house. It is refered to as home defense and not home tactical room clearing for a reason.

That being said, a whole lot of new homes only have hollow core PVC doors between rooms, and, many have split room designs. My new house has the master BR on one side and the guest BRs on the other side. The front door opens to a open dining rooms and a great room with the MBR door right off the dining room (no hall). I should probably replace the inside doors with something solid - harder for a BG to kick in. A good defendable area could be behind the bed looking toward the BR door kneeling down with the gun resting on the bed - and with a phone on that side of the bed.

As also suggested, what ever you buy, get a couple of boxes of birdshot at Walmart and practice with your new gun. Practice at the shortest and at the longest distance you might need to shoot at in your house. Then buy a couple of boxes of 00 buck and practice with some BG full size targets and pick the brand of shotshell that patterns best for your gun at the distance you figure you might be shooting from.

Finally, in a 7 round magazine, those 7 round add weight to the front of the gun - load only 5 rounds and see what a difference in weight it makes. So, everything you add on to your gun makes it weight more - just be aware. If you're young, maybe that won't make much difference :)

If this is truly for HD, it will probably be a one time buy and hopefully a '0' time use (other than practice) so buy something that fits you and feels good when you shoulder it. Inexpensive - vs - expensive - vs - used (and checked by a gunsmith) means less than something that feels good at your shoulder.

Robert

·
Registered
49 Posts
After posting my comment above, it came to me that many posters may live in two story homes with the BRs upstairs - the BG breaks in (downstairs) and you go to the kids BRs (upstairs) to bring them to your defense area.

I live in a single story house. To get to the other BRs I would need to push the BG aside first due to the layout of the floor plan.

So, the BG breaks in, I pop out of bed, chamber a round and determine the BG needs to be taken down (for what ever reason). I sure best hit the BG in the COM because 00 buck shot pellets that miss the BG could well go thru one of more walls in the house - and hit someone in another room? But sometimes you need to do what you need to do - have that worked out in your mind beforehand !!!

You could yell "Don't move or I will shoot" - but that is against the law also (pointing a gun at someone). Many states have a Castle Doctrine provision, but it is still against the law to point a gun at someone, or shoot someone - thus the need to have a good defense attorney to speak to the police in your stead!!

Robert

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
fisher39 said:
I looked at the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590, and noticed that these are series. Are all of them generally the same in use and efficiency, or do you suggest specific ones?
For basic home defense, the standard advice is 12 gauge, 18.5" barrel, standard stock. The only "tactical" accessory you should think about adding at this stage is a light.

Something like these:
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -round.asp
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /50411.jpg

You can also look for something used if you're comfortable with that:
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005 ... tguns.html

Use any inexpensive birdshot for practice, and reduced-recoil buckshot for your defense loads.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
A couple of others you might look at are the Charles Daly and Stoger guns. Keep in mind if you want to mount a light or any other acceaories the 870 and 500/590 will be easiest to find parts for. The Maverick accepts most 500 accesories.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What would be the thoughts on using a Savage 55a 20 gauge bolt action in this scenario? Three rounds loaded with buckshot should be enough for holding your position in a room yes??

I was thinking that also, instead of a tactical light, which ruins your night vision, maybe simply mounting one of those small laser sights from WallyWorld might be useful? Not answer for most shotguns but the design of the bolt action allows for the mounting of this. Someone breaking into a room finding a small red dot (or two) centered in his chest might have some second thoughts.

And I agree that roaming your house is a bad idea -- if for no other reason than the local LEOs responding to your 911 call are probably likely to shoot you. Basically, running around the house, unless you're going to get the kids, means you're getting in the way of them doing their job. Stay put and let them flush the perp. Your job is holding your position until the troops arrive -- although in rural areas this probably doesn't apply, but in the suburbs....

I'm actually considering this scenario in a regards to a house I want to buy. Master bedroom is upstairs with one access staircase, large master bath, large walk-in closet off bath. Replacing the bathroom and/or closet door with steel doors with locks, placing gun cabinet in closet, and also keeping cell phone charging in closet means you have refuge, comms, and access to weapons/ammo -- assuming the response time from the LEOs is reasonable. Also avoids the issues of keeping guns in bedroom, etc. (and, also, get a dog!!! -- nature's best alarm system)

Does this seem reasonable??

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
morry said:
What would be the thoughts on using a Savage 55a 20 gauge bolt action in this scenario? Three rounds loaded with buckshot should be enough for holding your position in a room yes??

I was thinking that also, instead of a tactical light, which ruins your night vision, maybe simply mounting one of those small laser sights from WallyWorld might be useful? Not answer for most shotguns but the design of the bolt action allows for the mounting of this. Someone breaking into a room finding a small red dot (or two) centered in his chest might have some second thoughts.

And I agree that roaming your house is a bad idea -- if for no other reason than the local LEOs responding to your 911 call are probably likely to shoot you. Basically, running around the house, unless you're going to get the kids, means you're getting in the way of them doing their job. Stay put and let them flush the perp. Your job is holding your position until the troops arrive -- although in rural areas this probably doesn't apply, but in the suburbs....

I'm actually considering this scenario in a regards to a house I want to buy. Master bedroom is upstairs with one access staircase, large master bath, large walk-in closet off bath. Replacing the bathroom and/or closet door with steel doors with locks, placing gun cabinet in closet, and also keeping cell phone charging in closet means you have refuge, comms, and access to weapons/ammo -- assuming the response time from the LEOs is reasonable. Also avoids the issues of keeping guns in bedroom, etc. (and, also, get a dog!!! -- nature's best alarm system)

Does this seem reasonable??
The light is for target ID not an aid for aiming. Downside to bolt action would be slow rate of fire. Downside to 3rnd capacity is pretty obviouse if you have 4 intruders bent on killing you. I don't advise clearing your house but you may need to move between rooms to gather kids or other family members. Why are their issues with keeping guns in your bedroom? My final advice is if you're counting on dogs barking, the sound of a pump gun, or a little red dot scaring a BG you're likely to end up dissapointed. If you choose to arm yourself for defense BE PREPARED TO USE LETHAL FORCE If you aren't prepared to do that use your money on an alarm. You need to prepare yourself for the fact that you may kill someone and that person may have a mother and father, wife or husband and even children. I'm not saying shoot first ask questions later but if the moment of truth comes and you have planned on scaring the BG's away and aren't prepared to actualy use your gun you will br dead. It's not a situation to take lightly but don't get visions of becoming John McClain either. Perhaps some profesional training might also help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with you. Gimmicks will get you killed.

At the end of the day a firearm is a tool -- with a specific purpose. And if you're reading this thread - well you know where that road ends in this situation. As I tell my wife -- the most dangerous thing in the world is a crisis with an individual standing in a doorway with a weapon being indecisive about whether they will use it or not. By then the decision has been made.

My only point is that other things, like having a dog barking, can give you a few seconds. Same with a laser -- which I never said was to be used for aiming. In a crisis having a few things to sow some confusion among the enemy and give you time to exercise your pre-planned strategy might be helpful. Note I said pre-planned -- unlike the intruders who don't know the house, etc. and are probably making things up as they go.

The best scenario is not having to get into the situation -- personally I like to install steel doors on my houses and reverse the hinges so they open out, getting a decent security system, etc. But your point is well taken -- a more modern weapon than a bolt action is probably a better home defense choice.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Calisto said:
/

Look at the NEF "Pardner" in 12 gauge. It is a very serviceable Pump for about $229.00

Since you only need it for Home Defense, rather than any field work, it would be unneccessary to invest in anything else.
I've never really understood this line of thinking.

You're looking at defending your life and the lives of loved ones, so go with the cheapest model you can find. You're shooting little clay birds, better spend at least $10,000.

Really, what gives?

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
HitDroad said:
Hi all, I am new on home defence shutguns too. What abaut the Akkar KARATAY TAKTIK shutgun for home defence?
Thanks
Juan
Never heard of it. A quick google search revealed they are tukish made and noone else knows anything else about them either. Maybe someone can shine a light on the subject.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I buy Mossberg 500s used regularly in good used condition for under $100.00. Then if you want, buy an extra barrel (also used), and you have a good reliable HD and hunting/clays shotgun for very little money. Most of these guns are bought new for hunting or home defense and have not had enough shells through them to cause major wear. If money is not an issue I would buy new, of course. If buying used look for New Haven or Westernfield branded guns. Same gun, less money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.