Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't gone yet because my usual gun is broken so i'm stuck with my dads 391 with a skeet choke in it. But tell me how many feathers flew you guys!!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
I hunted one of the Texas Public Dove Lease fields. Supposed to wake up at 5:00 a.m. and be in the field by 6:00 a.m Instead I woke up at 7:00 a.m and in the field by 8:00 a.m. Turned out to be a blessing. It was a 100+ acre grain field. The rain the week before had washed all the seeds out, so it didn't look promising. All the good spots were gone or so I thought. I picked the end of a grassy strip that jutted a couple hundred yards into the field. I walk to the end and lo and behold there is a huge mud hole just out of site from the road. I got a few shots off that morning then headed to the house at noon. I knew that would be a hotspot later in the day. I got back to the spot at 4:00 p.m. Luckily no one else knew about the water and hadn't bothered to steal my spot. From 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. I went through two boxes of shells and took home nine birds. 9 out of 50 sucks, so from now on I'm only practicing with brownish-gray clays. I just hope nobody makes fun of me when I shoot from my bucket seat at the skeet range. P.S. Same spot today (Monday) from 6:00 p.m to 7:30 p.m. and went 4 out of 12. Overall the season has started out well and I want to thank whoever came up with the idea of Public Dove Leases. How did ya'll do?regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Things in Kansas were great!!! I got my limit(15) Saturday morning in only 2 hours. Sunday morning was excellent as well with 9 birds killed between 7 am and 10am. I am overjoyed with my success and invited my dad back for next weekend. It's private land and I will give the birds a week long reprieve, I just hope a cold front doesn't come through.--Wing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sunday afternoon was a wash out. I ended up taking my wife's grandfather to his nephew's house for a "sure-fire" dove shoot. From 3:30 til sunset, we had 3 birds fly in. Not a great hunt.Monday was a different story! I went to my field in front of the house. Guys, ya should've been here! I got 6 that morning and finished out my limit by 4:15 that afternoon.Out of 19 people hunting over the field, only 2 people did not bag their limit. There'll be dove on the grill tonight!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might get some funny looks Jay!!! I'm a quail person. Anways my gun still isn't fixed d*mn weekends, especially long ones!!!! Anway my lab still needs some trainin so i may go without a gun and see if he can point stil! (that may be a sight to see)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts