Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone-

I am not in the market right now for a new shotgun ($$$) things are a little tight with the upcomming wedding next May. But here is my question, I have the to be wifey on the brink. I have been drooling over the idea of owning an o/u for ever and she has hinted that it could become a reality, as a gift possibly. We will see...

So here it is I am about 5'6", or 5'7" on a day when I stretch real hard when I wake up in the morning. I have a "stockier" build (geez I hate that word), I wear about a 40"-42" jacket for my suits. I am in between a Citori Lighting Feather 12 ga, and a Beretta Silver Pigeon S in 12 ga. Both with 26" tubes.

Now taking into account that I probably cant go wrong with either of these guns, and the fact that I am shorter individual, is there one of these guns that due to the way they are designed might be a better fit for me. I am not concerened with the LOP as I will have it cut down to fit. But I have heard somethings, cant remember enought what they were to post them, that made me think that the Beretta may be a better fit for my build. I have handled both, but that was long ago and before I was really paying attention to these things. I think the forend on the Beretta feels better to me, the Citori was a little "thick" feeling if I remember right.

I posted a while back that I had my 870 Express' LOP shortened to 13" from 14". While that maybe a little aggressive, again before I really started to try to educate myself on this stuff, it mounts from a relaxed carry position much better than the stock length that would constantly get hung on my armpit, and felt like I was always "reaching" for the trigger. The shortened length does feel comfortable to shoot with a T shirt and vest on, and will come in handy this winter with more layers on.

Wow sorry about the tangent. Any comments, thoughts, or opinions are more than welcome. I know I really need to get back out to the store and look at them again. But there are SO many folks here that know so much, I figure someone may have the inside track to some info that could help me out here .

Thanks to all in advance!

-Drew

·
Premium Member
19,703 Posts
Drew,

I can't think of anything in those two guns that would make one a better pick for you than the other based on shortening the stock. Keep in mind that shortening the stock will shift the balance point slightly forward, but that is easily remedied (if necessary) by adding a little weight to the stock bolt hole. Pick the one that you like the feel and looks of. The fit can be adjusted as needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts