Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my thoughts as im looking for a new (first) shotgun.. Please let me know where I have gone wrong...

So I have been reading about shotgun fit and one of the things I keep hearing is make sure you get a gun that 'fits' especially when comparing 2 guns. If most guns really don't fit people is this really a factor when selecting a gun? It seems to me that no matter what gun you choose odds are that you will need it modified to fit you. Once you buy the gun and decide to get it 'fit' it seems that alot of the customization is based on shooting style. How does a newcomer decide what 'fits' best?

On average how much does it cost to get a gun customized? I think I need to take this into account as I save up for my purchase.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
How well a gun "fits" is somewhat dependent on the kind of shooting for which the gun will be used. "Fits" describes a gun that allows the shooter to use the shooting form (gun mount, stance, body posture) that time has proven results in the greatest shooting success.

If you are close to 5' 10" inches tall and weigh close to 160 pounds your chances of being fairly well fitted by an off-the-rack gun are better than they would be if you aare 6' 3" tall and weigh 210.

Generally speaking, the "correct" (American) shooting form for all shooting disciplines is as follows: Natural upright body posture including an upright head and neck position, gun mounted with the top of the recoil pad on the collarbone (in the shoulder pocket just inside of the shoulder joint), a stance (position of the feet) that is slightly rotated in the same direction as the side of the gun mount with the feet about shoulder-width apart and positioned naturally with the legs straight but not locked at the knees.

Costs for a fitting vary widely. Different fitters charge different amounts (and invest different amounts of time to fit guns) and the work required to fit a stock can vary widely as can any mechanical gadgets required to make the gun fit. To be on the safe side, plan on something around $400 for a fitting, assuming you aren't very close to 5' 10" in height and weigh close to 160 pounds.

If and when you decide you need and want your gun fitted, ask for recommendations here and give your location. There may be a good fitter near you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.