Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about FITASC and it seems to be a more realistic game to prepare for actual upland bird hunting. I've never shot it. Any comments. Also, anywhere to shoot it in northern ohio?

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
I'm not so sure that your assessment of FITASC is correct as far as bird hunting is concerned. To my way of thinking, FITASC is kind of like long range sporting clays. Not all targets are at long range, but a lot of them are. You will have a lot of long, high, arcing targets to shoot at. Of course, there are other types of target presentations too, but primarily it's a long range version of sporting clays.

FITASC does require that you start with a lowered gun. Also, you can shoot at the single targets with both shots if necessary. There are a lot more single targets in FITASC than there are in sporting clays.

I haven't shot much FITASC, but plan to shoot it more in the future. It's a good game.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Uly is right. A lot of the targets in FITASC are going to be at ranges that are too long to shoot in a hunting situation. Some people are already complaining that sporting clays is not realistic because the targets often are so far away that you wouldn't shoot if it was a real bird. FITASC is worse about that.

If pratice for hunting is what you want, shoot sporting clays from a low-gun position.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside said:
Some people are already complaining that sporting clays is not realistic because the targets often are so far away that you wouldn't shoot if it was a real bird.
While I will give them the point that SC targets are usually farther than what shots at game are normally taken, I disagree with whomever thinks that SC is not good hunting practice even if shot low gun.

The fact that SC shots are usually more demanding is precisely what makes it good practice. Mastering complex shots will make a shooter much more deadly in the field, where the distances are shorter and the variety of angles and trajectories are less.

The complainers usually complain because they want to shoot gimmies.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I can tell you that shooting SC targets has made me a better field shot.I shoot doves and ducks and I am much better at finding the line and the lead than I used to be.

FITASC is such a specialized area of SC's that I recommend you try it to see if you like it.

It requires a perfect gun mount and a near perfect move to the bird, as they tend to be out farther than your average SC's target.Low gun is a requirement ,too.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I don't think FITASC is a good primer for upland birds but has improved my dove, duck, and goose pass shooting tremendously. The biggest advantage has been showing how far out 40, 50, 60 yards really is and what is possible with an adequate pattern and shot placement. I thought I was fairly good at long birds when I was guiding but now I EXPECT the bird to drop rather than suppose it would when I touch the trigger.
As for regular SC targets, I find them fairly representative of alot of hunting situations. It is not uncommon to have game shots at 5 yards as well as those at 40. I may ride out the closer one to a reasonable distance or I'll shoot the head off if the angle is right. For the "long" shots I've learned to mount the gun with much less wasted motion and the bird is not as far out as it used to be when the pellets catch up. Hitting the target at 50 yards or so is also a good skill to have when that rooster pheasant is only hit in the butt and will likely be unrecoverable and die without an anchoring shot. Sporting clays has made me a bit poorer at ruffed grouse and woodcock as I have become a little too deliberate with my mount but a few missed opportunities and threats of bites from the dogs begin to oil the gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts