Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some seasoned shooters who shoot at my club are now shooting Fixed Choked CG-Invictus M-Spec with IM/M fixed set up.

I read some info on this by Chris Batha who talks about fixed chokes of IM/M and just go with 7 1/2 shells for longer shots to keep the shot string tighter, and 8s for the shorter ones.

The thinking is changing chokes tubes just adds more variables when the focus should be on learning better shooting skills.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
I don't understand what all the thinking about changing chokes?

Look at the targets put in the choke you think you need and shoot the targets. :lol:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Do CG screw choke barrels weigh considerably more than fixed? If so then this is a weight/balance thing. If not then this is just CG mimicking Perazzi and Krieghoff (parcours) whose fixed choke barrels are built differently and change the entire feel of the gun.

·
Registered
24,387 Posts
Unless you shoot trap, skeet and sporting, using a gun with fixed chokes is no big deal. Most folks who shoot sporting rarely change them in the first place. Now, whether M/IM is the right choice for you where you shoot, only you can determine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your last point is what i note in my shooting....i have been tightening up my chokes as I get better (up from skeet and IC ) and I dont change them while shooting a course anyway.

So it seems like a safe move to go with a fixed choke set up (as long as gun fits, etc...and I only shoot clays as well).

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
914 Posts
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:
I don't understand what all the thinking about changing chokes?

Look at the targets put in the choke you think you need and shoot the targets. :lol:
Yeah, it doesn't have to be complicated or even done very often. I use the "close, most, or far" method and change chokes maybe four times in a competition round. I like having options, but unlike some others I find managing chokes much easier than managing different types of shells. As for "back to the future", I see more of the opposite - people sending fixed choke guns to be threaded for thinwalls.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
i never was a follower in screw in chokes. just had a guy come to the range and shoot 4 lousy games of skeet. i was watching him and telling him he was in front in front in front.
yep, he was in front all right. he had an x-full choke in from hunting....he forgot to change them back for skeet.
i know a pair of sneakers from my work boots. they look different and feel different.
when i shoot skeet i put on my skeet gun. when i shoot trap, i put on my trap gun. each feels different and does a different job. no confusion.

maybe with time, people will start getting what ive been teaching and saying for decades. hmmm, decades. guess that makes me one of them thar seasoned shooters. :>

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
I don't believe the thinking behind fixed chokes has anything to do with changing chokes adding more variables that rob focus.

Some manufactures, right or wrong, have convinced some customers that they will see improved performance characteristics out of their fixed choke gun.

Of the sporting clay shooters I shoot with less than 5% obsess with chokes during a round. Everyone else just puts in chokes they will use for the round and don't think about it any more. The few who obsess, will still obsess with a fixed choke gun.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
One of the guys I shoot with will change chokes on almost every station.

He will change chokes from the top to bottom barrel instead of just changing the barrel switch.

90% of the time he shoots in the 90's.

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
Use the chokes right for the game. That means screw-in chokes or many different guns. Screw in chokes are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What no one seems to be mentioning is the barrel weight / balance / handling characteristics of a fixed choke gun compared to the somewhat front heavy feel of a multi choke .
A slender fixed choke barrel converted to thin wall multi choke is the best of both worlds .

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
blaser f3 said:
What no one seems to be mentioning is he barrel weight / balance / handling characteristics of a fixed choke gun compared to the somewhat front heavy feel of a multi choke .
A slender fixed choke barrel converted to thin wall multi choke is the best of both worlds .
This is a fact with Perazzi. But not necessarily other brands. My quest as stated before would be if CG actually makes a thinner barrel wall for the fixed choke guns or is it just a marketing thing meant to get a little Perazzi magic to rub off on CG.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Almost all companies swage their barrels to accept screw chokes (all that I can think of except Kolar and the new Krieghoff Parcours X w/ factory thinwalls). Factory screw chokes can lead to muzzle heavy guns. Buying the fixed choke equivalent then sending it to Briley for thinwalls alleviates this.

The REAL question is what percentage of shooters who purchase fixed choke guns leave them as fixed choke guns, and what percentage of shooters who purchase a fixed IM/F or IM/M gun leave it that way? Chokes that tight would be somewhere between a moderate and severe handicap for an majority of shooters.

The smarter move vs fixed chokes is to greatly limit your choke selection. Put a pair of Mods in the gun, and carry a skeet and a full (meaning you have 4 chokes on you, two in the gun and two in your pouch), swapping them in as necessary. Most people aren't going to want to shoot a sub-30 yard target with a IM or F choke...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I shoot different guns for all three

• Trap, Fixed full choke
• Skeet, SK/SK .... Removable, but I only do when cleaning. I also only shoot 20 gauge in Skeet
• Sporting Clay's, whatever choke the station dictates, my "usual" chokes are IM/LM which does about 90% where I usually shoot
• 5 Stand .... Never saw the need

·
Registered
24,387 Posts
Skeet_Man said:
Almost all companies swage their barrels to accept screw chokes (all that I can think of except Kolar and the new Krieghoff Parcours X w/ factory thinwalls). Factory screw chokes can lead to muzzle heavy guns. Buying the fixed choke equivalent then sending it to Briley for thinwalls alleviates this.

The REAL question is what percentage of shooters who purchase fixed choke guns leave them as fixed choke guns, and what percentage of shooters who purchase a fixed IM/F or IM/M gun leave it that way? Chokes that tight would be somewhere between a moderate and severe handicap for an majority of shooters.

The smarter move vs fixed chokes is to greatly limit your choke selection. Put a pair of Mods in the gun, and carry a skeet and a full (meaning you have 4 chokes on you, two in the gun and two in your pouch), swapping them in as necessary. Most people aren't going to want to shoot a sub-30 yard target with a IM or F choke...
Browning does not swage their barrel - as Bruce Buck calls them = "sewer pipes"

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
98% of shooters are not sensitive enough to feel the slightly less weight of fixed chokes.

Reactions: chasjr1
1 - 20 of 44 Posts