Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here know the procedure for fixing a vent rib? Two of the posts have detached and I want to fix this before it gets too bad. Its an older Browning BPS, and I would prefer to fix this myself because I like to fix everything myself. I've searched like a madman (here, google, etc) but all I can find are people to do the work for me, Its just too expensive and I hate relying on someone else.

Thank you!

·
Registered
377 Posts
it really needs to be re soldered and you may need to reblue it sorry ive got a friend who got a quote on epoxy repair 7 shots and it broke had it done again lasted 15 shots then smith tried to solder and rib curled ended up replacing w/ pachmyer rib.save yourself these headaches have it don by a good gunsmith that does alot of shotguns it seems to be a specialty

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheapest around me is $120 without a re-blue, I decided to buy a new barrel. The damaged is a 26", so i'll order a 30". I'll try to solder the 26" but I'll leave the 30" on the gun. Today I picked up a few gunsmithing books and it looks like it should be a decent project. The 26" will be used for hunting anyways so it doesn't need to be perfect.

·
1,203 Posts
Brownells sells a brand of English solder made by Swif....it's powdered solder mixed in flux. If you can somehow get between the rib posts and the barrel to clean both surfaces, this paste can be put between post and barrel. Once this is done, tie the posts down by wiring the rib tightly to the barrel. Wipe off the excess paste and heat the joints until the solder just begins to flow from the seam. If you are very careful, this repair will not require reblue; just minor touch up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mike, thanks for your information. We all appreciate the advice you give us "Weekend Gunsmiths" when it's taking $$$ out of your pocket.

Mike Doerner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts