Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok iv said before that i make short movies and am pretty experienced in the pyrotechnic chemistry field and when it comes to making blanks to use in my movies i always use homemade black powder but anyways i was thinking on using flash powder next time cuz not only will it make a brighter flash but also be louder :twisted:

i know for a fact that it wont blow up the barrel cuz theres no resistance above the powder like there is in actual live rounds so basicly the only concern i really have is the fact that flashpowder burns so hot i wouldnt want to ruin any of my barrels so do u guys think it would be ok? or should i just stick with black powder?

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
potssium perchlorate and powdered aluminum

anyways its powder that burns 5x faster than commercial made black powder

basicly its like the powder composition used in old fasioned M80 firecrackers

·
Registered
330 Posts
Flash powder can indeed blow up a barrel with as little confinment as a thin paper wad.
It's against the law you will find too :wink: .

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
It appears that flash powder "detonates" rather than "progressively burns" as in smokeless powders. It might work, but then, you may end up shooting in the future missing one of your hands and needing a new gun. Why would you want to take a chance????

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flashpowder blanks i have experience with and i know for a fact they wont blow up the barrel but the only concern i had was if it would mess up the inside of the barrel cuz it burns so hot

also too flashpower is very loud when it explodes and makes great blanks

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I suspect that it would cause damage to a barrel. 5x the ignition is quite a bit. The powdered alluminum may deposit on the barrel as well while still in the plasma state. Could be a B with an itch to clean. :(

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol yea i know what u mean about the cleanup cuz sometimes when im mixing the powders i accidently spill some of the powdered aluminum and it is impossible to completly get it off any surface

when i start using these type of blanks more often i might just buy cheap extra barrels for the guns we use so that way we got no worries about ruining expensive gun barrels

·
Registered
331 Posts
Maser said:
flashpowder blanks i have experience with and i know for a fact they wont blow up the barrel but the only concern i had was if it would mess up the inside of the barrel cuz it burns so hot

also too flashpower is very loud when it explodes and makes great blanks
A website about making Flash Powder. said:
Black Powder vs. Flash Powder

A lot of people ask which is stronger, Black Powder or Flash Powder... or if Black Powder can be used in Salutes (exploding fireworks).
In short, there is no comparison. Flash Powder is a high explosive, a shattering explosive. It converts to a gas so fast, that objects near it, and containers that hold it cannot move out of they way (or vent) fast enough to release this gas, so they are destroyed into fragments.
Black Powder is a low explosive, a heaving explosive. It converts to gas much more slowly than Flash Powder, and generally pushes things as opposed to fragmenting them. If Black Powder is used in a small Salute like an M-80, it will just make a loud "pop", and push out the end plugs.
Flash Powder in an M-80 will make a loud explosion and fragment the tube into small pieces. Flash Powder burns so much faster than Black Powder that in larger Salutes, it doesn't even matter if you've got end plugs on the tube at all, it will still detonate and fragment the Salute, even with 2 open ends.
You can NEVER substitute Flash Powder for Black Powder or vice-versa. If you were to use Flash Powder to launch a shell out of a tube, or a bullet out of a gun, it would barely move the shell or bullet, and completely destroy the mortar or gun, most probably injuring the operator.
I looks to me like flash powder could easily blow up a gun, but if your the expert on pyrotechnics why don't you just go ahead and give it a try, if you live through it and if you still have enough fingers left to type then maybe you can tell us all about it.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
262 Posts
Flash powder is not suitable for a firearm of any type under any circumstances. It is a classified as a high explosive. It was used as a grenade filling in WWII. It does detonate and does not burn in a controlled way. It will blow your gun up.

I am not speculating here, I know of what I speak through professional training and personal experience. I seriously injured myself with flash powder at age 14. About the time the fireball and shockwave blew the skin off my face and arms, I grew up. I quit risking my life with stupid childish behavior. Now, 30 years later, I am a firearms expert employed by a government laboratory. I know what I am talking about, you have been warned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well technicly flash powder aint classed as a high explosive but it is very very close to be considered in that class cuz of the way it explodes rather than burns

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pato said:
well technicly flash powder aint classed as a high explosive but it is very very close to be considered in that class cuz of the way it explodes rather than burns
Umm... is the fact that it explodes rather than burns what makes it classified an explosive? I'm a rookie on the subject, but I thought that was a basic distinction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well i really dont want to get too much into this discussion no more because im trying to redeem myself and not get banned but anyways its not the fact that it explodes that makes it a high explosive cuz take old fasioned black powder thats as fine as flour cuz that burns so quick that it explodes but yet its not considered a high explosive

what makes an explosive either considered high or low explosive is not the fact that it explodes its that fact on how brisant (shockwave power) it is

say for instance u got 2 giant firecrackers setting next to a bunch of small pebbles and in 1 cracker u got flash powder (low explosive) and in the other u got dynamite (high explosive) and when the flashpowder 1 explodes it will throw the pebbles everywhere like shrapnel but the dynamite cracker will shatter the rocks into very small pieces

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Pato said:
well i really dont want to get too much into this discussion no more because im trying to redeem myself and not get banned
Well better luck this time around. Keep it clean.

You were wondering about using flash powder for shotgun blanks, and it was unanimously opined that it was dangerous. I've loaded BP blanks, and they make a tremendous thud, why not stick with those.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well Maser post an average of 3 post per day and has not been here since Dec 22.

I think I will pass on the Pyro stuff!!!!!

What u think Pato

·
Registered
10 Posts
pijonsmasher said:
Well Maser post an average of 3 post per day and has not been here since Dec 22.

I think I will pass on the Pyro stuff!!!!!

What u think Pato
lol whos Maser? :wink:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
a friend i had in highschool would use homade flash powder to make flares. he tried it a few times, and it worked exactly as he had planned. the last time he tried it, the skin on his hand ended up being peeled back like a banana. the same thing could easily happen with a firearm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
New member, but couldn't resist this thread since I've actually done this. Not for fun, but really wanted to test for catastrophic failure in a shotgun. Long story short, an OLD sxs 12ga was going to be tossed anyway and was fired remotely and safely. Couldn't believe how hard that is to do. (To cause a gun to blow up) a TRIPLE charge of Bullseye under a 1 oz.+ of shot hardley fazed the thing. I finally did do a silly large charge of flash with rags stuffed down the barrel! That one did manage to split the soldered rib and pretty much jammed the action, but didn't open up the barrels. I do remember how badly and quickly the chlorate rusted the bore though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts