Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11-48 & Auto-5
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many times I see A-5s listed that mentions a round knob. I understand that those were made up until about 1966 (or something like that) when they started with the flat knob. Is this supposed to be a selling point? I have a 1953 A-5 with the round knob, but I really don't see why it matters. I also have a first-year Remmy Sportsman 48 that has a flat knob and they both shoot equally well, round or flat. So what's the trip about the round knob? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
11-48 & Auto-5
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Round knob is more comfortable to carry shouldered for me, and I notice. Also, it looks better.
This is my first A-5 and I just got it about 4 months ago. I only shoot skeet for fun with it and my 11-48. Never really paid attention to the round knob, I just like shooting vintage guns. I keep 'em clean and lightly oiled and they both run great. And considering I only paid about 700 simoleons for both, I think I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I haven’t noticed round or flat guns taking any hits in the marketplace. Me, I’d run whatever works. Don’t own a flat, but, it isn’t from lack of trying. Just lack of success.

Phage

Reactions: df

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Nice to note the Auto 5 is not an A5.(y)

The round knob harkens to a time when style was not cut with a circular saw....fingers crossed that no one believes either wood shape can affect shooting in all but the pleasure one may receive in liking the esthetic.

·
Premium Member
11-48 & Auto-5
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my 20 gauge that I changed to a round knob from a square knob its a 1979 Japan gun 2 3/4"could not find a round knob so I made my own. Steve! View attachment 54125
Looks really good!

Reactions: 3'12

·
Premium Member
11-48 & Auto-5
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice to note the Auto 5 is not an A5.(y)

The round knob harkens to a time when style was not cut with a circular saw....fingers crossed that no one believes either wood shape can affect shooting in all but the pleasure one may receive in liking the esthetic.
I'm guessing that at some point the name Auto-5 was shortened to A-5.
Any particular reason for that?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts

Browning recently used the A5 designation for marketing it's effective rip-off of the Auto 5 in 16 gauge....I suspect the ploy worked.
Otherwise, the use seems most often associated with the speaker being over-worked and so, tired.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Negative ghost rider. The auto 5 is the long recoil operated. The new A5 has the Benelli set up, not the same animal and no way as reliable. I think Browning wanted people to associate it with the auto 5 which has a great history, not the same for the A5.

·
Premium Member
11-48 & Auto-5
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Negative ghost rider. The auto 5 is the long recoil operated. The new A5 has the Benelli set up, not the same animal and no way as reliable. I think Browning wanted people to associate it with the auto 5 which has a great history, not the same for the A5.
Gotcha. Mine is the Auto-5. I have a buddy who has an Auto-5 and sometimes we just get a little lazy and refer to them as A-5s. Next time I talk to him I'll tell him that I've been schooled. 👍

Reactions: RGuill96971
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later