Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a quail hunter from alabama....I have Always wanted to hunt the plains in Kansas/Nebraska....But am going to concentrate on Kansas,Flint Hills area for now...There will probably only be two of us with six dogs...we are long time quail hunters that don't mind putting in the walking time/effort...NOT meat hunters , actually Bird Hunters with a love/respect/passion for habitat , Bobwhite quail and our four legged hunting companions....We would like to hunt quail and get the "opprotunity" for prairie chickens...Thinking about first week in Dec 2013...So our "basic plan" would be start in the north area?...work our way down to the southern area to include prairie chickens...

That being said...ANY advice on where to start,areas better than others,areas to avoid , how's the habitat since the drought...trying to narrow down/weed out bad areas right of the bat?...I know the habitat will depend on moisture between now and then..and right now there is 1-2ft of snow on the ground which is a good way to start...

Just looking for friendly , good , honest info for a couple of old time bird hunters , that want the experiance of the Historic NaturalGrass Plains with their dogs and hopefully bag some birds...Thanks in advance
Sam

· Registered
2,163 Posts
Not from that area, but grew up in western Ks, and still hunt there often.
The state does publish a book with maps of walk-in areas.
If you don't have that book, contact the state and get one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.