Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tournament thats a 19hr car drive away, the heck I'm going to drive with a 13mpg truck. I have the option to fly, but I have never flown a gun (actually two, a benelli Monte and a very nice Super X1). What are the steps I need to go through? How reliable is flying a gun? I really need it not to get "lost" in transite. What would the cost be for two shotguns about 55"-60" each? Can ammo be shipped? or should I just buy it when I get there?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You have to check with the airline as some of them have rules that differ from the TSA, which constitute the base rules for airline gun transport. In theory, it is not that big a deal. In practice, it is a big enough hassle that people have been shipping guns to their destination venue and back via FedEx, UPS and USPS. This however brings up its own issues as UPS can be tricky depending on staff at the UPS location (and you have to go to a UPS hub to ship).

Ammo can be sent along with the guns or separately from via airline, but either way have to be in lockable (TSA openable) cases. Go to your likely airline's website and check it out as the regs differ between airlines. If you live in proximity to a FedEx center, shipping to your venue and back home via FedEx "seems" to be the easiest option.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've flown plenty of times with guns. You bring them in an approved airline case, and check them in at the ticket counter. The ticket agent will verify they are unloaded and give you a form to fill out. The form goes inside the case. Then the case is locked and sent for loading with the other checked baggage. At your destination pick up your case and leave. Each airline will have firearm info on their website.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have flown with my guns a lot. Most carriers are similar, but have significant differences. Check your airline's website and print the gun policy. The agent at the gate, or the ticket counter, may not be knowledgeable.

You will need a lockable, hard sided case, for sure. Your gun will go directly to
TSA when you get to the ticket counter. This will usually cause you to incur a 30 minute to one hour delay over a person who is simply checking a bag. Guns always go checked, of course.

Insure your guns. They are high theft items.

The biggest differences between carriers is with ammo. Some allow it, in a different piece of luggage than the gun, in a factory box, some allow it but NOT in the same luggage as a gun, some don't allow it. It will be there in the firearms policy.

Most important, print your carriers firearms policy (see the q&A on website or search it) allow plenty of time, insure your guns.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thedogfather said:
You will need a lockable, hard sided case, for sure. Your gun will go directly to
TSA when you get to the ticket counter
. This will usually cause you to incur a 30 minute to one hour delay over a person who is simply checking a bag. Guns always go checked, of course.
Sometimes.

The last two times I have flown, that didn't happen. In fact, the last time I flew, I asked the agent if she wanted to see if my gun ( a .45) was unloaded, and she said no, she wasn't interested.

I've found that agents in Florida tend to be pretty easy going and gun friendly.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Gmountain said:
I've flown plenty of times with guns. You bring them in an approved airline case, and check them in at the ticket counter. The ticket agent will verify they are unloaded and give you a form to fill out. The form goes inside the case. Then the case is locked and sent for loading with the other checked baggage.
That's how it used to be. Past few times I have flown with mine they have gone dire(ctly to TSA. One other thing, many airlines (esp at smaller airports) do not put gun cases on the luggage carousel (due to theft). So if you don't see yours don't panic. Take your claim ticket to an airline employee, they'll usually have your guns in a secure area.

Just read your response! Thanks for the info. I kind of assumed it was sop nowadays. Glad it isn't. So we should tell the op just be prepared!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Years ago I did it - no problem. Recently I've heard horror stories and I now just UPS my guns to whre I'm going and then UPS them back to me when I'm done.

Gun theft and damage at airports has increased.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
I often travel with valuabel OU tube set guns.

Its not a big deal and my experience has paralleled some of what is posted above.

1. You gun must be in a lockable, approved case.

2. Take your luggage and the cased gun to the ticket counter, you cannot use curbside check-in for your gun.

3. Tell the ticket agent you have an "unloaded firearm" to check. I strongly suggest you don't yell, "I have a gun". Just a little common sense works wonders, eh?

4. The ticket agent will give you a small card to fill out with your flight info (they often fill that part in), your contact data, and your signature.

5. You then open the gun case and put the card in. When in doubt, just be open and ask. Example, "may I lock the case up now, Miss?" The ticket agents are interested in inspecting the gun, that's TSA's responsibility.

6. At this point, procedures vary a bit. In some airports (like BWI) they take the gun and put in on the conveyor and TSA processes it in the bowels of the airport. In many, you may then be instructed to take the gun to a TSA table/x-ray machine and they may make you open it again and check it over. At Islip airport on Long Island, you need to take it to a table where TSA and a local cop check the gun and then make you lock it. From there its out of your hands.

7. At your destination, it may come out with the rest of checked baggage, but often it goes to the airlines baggage service office with the oversized stuff like golf bags. This varies, so when you get there, go to the office and ask then where it will come out.

8. Federal law allows you to have up to 11 lbs of FACTROY BOXED AMMO in check luggage. I have never put it in the gun case, and I suggest ou don't either. Seperate the ammo from the gun, don't give anone a reason to get excited. Not just factory, but in the factory box. No extra shoot off-shells in a plastic bag. I persosonally do not know of any airline that does not honor this Federal regulation.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Baron23 said:
8. Federal law allows you to have up to 11 lbs of FACTROY BOXED AMMO in check luggage. I have never put it in the gun case, and I suggest ou don't either. Seperate the ammo from the gun, don't give anone a reason to get excited. Not just factory, but in the factory box. No extra shoot off-shells in a plastic bag. I persosonally do not know of any airline that does not honor this Federal regulation.
Cheers
Continental's ammo policy cut and pasted from their website

"No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container."

As I said earlier in the post, I have seen it all ways - some carriers require ammo in the same case as the firearm, some no ammo at all, some in factory boxes, as you see, CAL only requires it be in tight fitting container. Airlines will c/w governmental requirements but also will impose their own rules.

I just noticed that someone earlier suggested Fedex. FYI, Fedex only accepts guns from private citizens when there is a licensed entity (FFL, mfg, collector) on one end of the shipment. I may not have stated that exactly correctly, here's the cut and paste.

"FedEx Ground will transport firearms (excluding handguns), but only between:

1. Licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, licensed collectors, law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency, or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers for the purpose of repair or customizing (and return of same).

3. Firearms must be shipped via the FedEx Delivery Signature Options Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required options and are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

4. FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition, when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this tariff.

5. FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

6. Firearms and ammunition must be shipped in separate packages.
."

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Thanks DogFather - I appreciate the additional information.

I had TSA in Detroit refuse to allow the ammo that was not in a factory box, but of course they are not the pinacle of consistency either LOL

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.