Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any feedback on ATI folding stocks for shotguns would be appreciated. I just purchased on for a 500 and I find it to be very long. Thinking about returning it. Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not too much experience with the ATI folding stocks. I know their products are quality, but not too much about the individual pieces "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"--Ted Nugent

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have no experience with ATI, but from what i have heard...Stay away from them! THe adapters cause the stock to wiggle, and are just one more thing that can break. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Murphy'slaw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look at the other ATI thread going, I have a mossy 500 with a top folding ATI stock, it does not have an adapter like for the rem 870 or the winchester. I love it, it funtions 100% perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"I have no experience with ATI, but from what i have heard...Stay away from them! THe adapters cause the stock to wiggle, and are just one more thing that can break. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

No, I respectfully disagree. My best friend and I both have Defenders, his has the top-folder by ATI, and he has put more lead through that gun than a small smelting plant. The ATIs do loosen over time, but only until they reach a sort of break-in point, and then they stay there FOREVER.

Pinepig-If you truly don't like the stock, by all means send it back. But bear in mind that it IS a folding stock. If they were meant to be comfortable they would come with aspirin. My buddie loves his, but the choice is yours. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
"The ATIs do loosen over time, but only until they reach a sort of break-in point, and then they stay there FOREVER."
-BeanTable-

Mr. BeanTable,

Any "wiggling" pertaining to the structural integrity of a gun is bad news no matter how minute it may seem. This affects your accuracy and will be a potential hazard if it breaks...let me correct that...WHEN it breaks. These adapters are just adding more and more variables into the mix of potential failure points on your gun. Spend a little more money get a better stock. Hippy500 pointed out that the Mossberg 500 does not require these adapters, I have not heard that before, I stand corrected.

"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong"

Murphy'slaw

G

·
Murphy, a agree that any wiggling is bad. When a gun rattles, I get annoyed. This excludes the forend on pneumatics, of course. Your probably right, it's not worth the risk, but hey, it seems to be holding up well enough. If my friend is lax and lets the stock get loose enough to break, getting the pistol grip in his chest might knock some sense into him!!

G

·
I have a defender and installed an ATI topfolder on it. I am no gun expert, as a matter of fact I prefer a good 1911 handgun. I do, however, know what feels good when I shoot and my topfolder feels fine. It had not taken away from any accuracy, its a shotgun, just point and shoot. It doesn't rattle any more than it did when I first bought it either. My shotgun is for home defense only. I do take it out at least once a month and shoot a few rounds through it and as I said, it seems fine. The folding stock has made the weapon easier to carry and store. I have found no faults in the stock.

G

·
I have a ATI topfolder , bought it for my persuader , also had it on my 870. It worked well, But put a Copstock on the mossey and a hogue on the 870. Thats the one nice thing about a SG , If you get bored bolt something different on it. Having one as a PG and another as a full stocked SG covers it all for me. I liked the top shell rack on the ATI. LOP was not an issue I can get used to anything

G

·
I have an ATI top folder on my 870. There is no wiggle at all. The ONLY problem is after putting about 50 rounds through it, the bolt holding it on starts to come loose. This should be an easy fix with some loc-tite.

G

·
Gents, can you use the ATI top folding stock with a M590-A1 with ghost ring sights? When the stock folds over the top will it smack into the rear sight? Or will it fit over it? Looks like the space between the sides of the stock might fit over the ghost rings. tks. snakep

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have an ATI top folder on my 870 (pics in another thread).
Its a little longer than the factory stock. You have to cut it a bit if you use a heat shield and cut even more if you use a side saddle.
Nice thing is that it makes the gun fairly compact when folded up, easyer to store, transport, ect. Grip is a bit chunky but that can be fixed with a Dremel. It comes pre drilled to mount an ATI 5 shell holder, wich is nice. I have used it quite a bit now and havent had it start to "wiggle" or the bolt back out, still very tight and strong. I may be changing it out in the future, its not very comfortable to shoot with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts