Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject came up in a thread last week. It was questioned about he legalities of importing and exporting reloading supplies (namely primers and powder) from the US to Canada. It was suggested that while it's legal to import into Canada it is illegal to export from the US.

First I spoke to Canada customs. I only asked about Primers and Powder specifically but was given the quantity for loaded rounds.

Primers - Limit 5000
Powder - Limit 8 kg (smokeless powder must not be in containers larger than 4000 grams (4 kg))
loaded rounds - 5000

There is no issues with the importation of these quanties.

I then called US customs.

I was told that for these quanties for personal use they have "no issues". Larger quantities for resale must go through a broker.

While crossing back into Canada from the US I was told it is all considered part of the "border" and Canada Customs can also screen Export compliance.

Hope this helps anyone who was thinking about bringing supplies back into Canada from the States.

Dave

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
That's not too crippling of restrictions. Fact is that it's more lenient than I suspected.
2-8lb. jugs of powder (or 17.6 lbs)
1 sleeve of 5000 primers
20 flats of shells

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for doing the leg work Dave, that is good news to me. It's nice when Regs make sense.
Not that I'm going to be importing powder, but I may bring in target ammo.

I just got a box of wads and Nice shot from Precision Reloading through the mail, no duty or taxes and man was it fast (less than one week). :D
Not sure why BPI won't ship wads to Canada.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ghughes said:
Thanks for doing the leg work Dave, that is good news to me. It's nice when Regs make sense.
Not that I'm going to be importing powder, but I may bring in target ammo.

I just got a box of wads and Nice shot from Precision Reloading through the mail, no duty or taxes and man was it fast (less than one week). :D
Not sure why BPI won't ship wads to Canada.
No problem. It was just a couple of phone calls.

So Precision Reloading obviously ships to Canada. That's good news. Some US companies just don't want to do it which is very frustrating because it's really not a big deal. I'd like to get some Orange Duster and other wads that we can't get up here.

Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any idea if it is according to hoyle to have primers and powder shipped from the US if one pays the Hazmat fee? The old "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" doesn't work so well with the customs people.

John

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think if you can find a company that is willing to do it they will know all that is required to make it legal. I suspect you would have a very difficult time finding one that is willing to do what is required.

That's just my guess though.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.