Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have been ask by several Grouse hunters about my modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge double gun, GI has one listed right now. GI 101976482 unfortunately the listing is by Bass Pro/Cabelas in WVa. These are real nice Box Lock side plated SXS double gun, with Spanish style laser engraving. I have had no problems with my gun what so ever.
The guns have jumped in cost again this year, asking price is now $3,399.99, dealing with Bass Pro/Cabelas is a pain, however if you are still searching for this nice bird gun to hunt Grouse & Woodcock with, it is available right now. I purchased my modern L.C. Smith gun back in 2007 when it won the new gun of the year award from Field & Stream, nice Box Lock gun no doubt about it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Bass Pro/Cabela picture of the modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith double gun. The gun looks to be in almost unused, pristine condition. GI listing 101976482

Reactions: CopOut107

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very nice gun, Dave. Thats a good increase in price for a used gun. When they were new in 2007, wasn’t the price right around $2000? Little out of my price range now. With the diminished interest in SxSs, it is interesting that dealers are still looking for high prices for most used SxSs. I think I will stick with my 28 inch barreled 5 pounds, 13 ounces 28 gauge CZ Bobwhite G2.:)

·
Registered
27,000 Posts
A SxS with a single trigger, beavertail forearm and pistol grip?? For SHAME Dave! For SHAME! :LOL: ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

I do think the asking price is too high, I think the asking price should be more like $2,600 - $2,800 for the Box Lock L.C. Smith 28 gauge SXS double gun, especially in todays market, even with the laser engraving and screw in chokes. However you really can not compare the Quality of the Zabala made L.C. Smith, to the entry level Bob White CZ 28, in reality the Zabala made L.C. Smith is not an entry level gun, the quality is more like a mid level SXS double gun for sure. I have heard absolutely no problems occurring with the Marlin Zabala made guns, can't say that for the CZ guns, especially the 1st generation CZ 28 gauge guns, that were made about the same time the L.C. Smith, Marlin gun was made by Zabala. You will eventually pay for the quality built into the guns, one way or another. Good guns usually increase in value, however this $3,339.99 price IMO is too much of an increase for a Box Lock SXS double gun. If you want to acquire the gun right now, that is what you will pay at Bass Pro/Cabelas.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Reactions: oneounceload

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blockcaver,

I agree and would never purchase one of their Box Lock guns, if you want a good AYA #2 gun purchase a Side Lock used 28 or 16 gauge. They are worth the asking price.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
calpik,

Similar to which gun the modern L.C. Smith or the AYA?
I shoot Clays with my 28 gauge L.C. Smith modern gun and so far have had not problems. Barrels are only 26" Long however.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1 - 8 of 8 Posts