Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I think I'm running a .006 and a .009 (under/over) Briley extended tubes. Briley ultralite tubes. I shoot 8, 8.5, and 9 shot indiscriminately. And I'm pretty non-discriminatory with my shells, too, although my first choice shells are STS all the way. I have a recent post on here that talks about my 20 ga ammo choices. It made me laugh when I typed it. :D

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Although I can also tell you that one of the highest average 20 and 20-in-12-and-doubles shooters in recent years shoots nothing but .005/.005 and 9s. Might even be more open than .005, too, come to think of it. "Spray and pray," he say. What he does works for him. What I do works for me. Each shooter must go and play and find out for himself (or herself, of course) what works best.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
As Mike stated, your going to have to go out and play to see what works for you.

Going loose on the first shot, then tight on the second shot may work if you second breaks are late on the center stations, but on the same token, if your late on the second breaks from the edges as well, this would be counter productive.

And I won't even say that .004 is loose, since i am smoke balling both double targets with them using 9 shot (all depends on the load being used).

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I never shoot 20ga. in Doubles, but sometimes shoot 20ga. in the 12ga. event.

.005 first shot, (bottom barrel), .004 second shot, (top barrel).
#8-1/2 in my reloads, #8's in store bought ammo.

In shootoffs I go with .005 (B) and .006 (T).

DLM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.