Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching the Olympic shooting, all of the shooters held the forearm between their first and middle finger, with their thumb on or alongside the top barrel, and their palm flat on the forearm, not between their thumb and first finger as one might do in holding a rifle. I see plenty of recreational trap shooters using the "rifle" grip, but almost no one using the grip used by the Olympic shooters.

Is the "Olympic" grip "better"? If so why or why not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
It's more of a "pointing down the barrel with your forefinger while supporting the gun with the other three fingers" than "holding the gun between the forefinger and the middle finger.....but I guess that's what it is.
95% of the shooters I know hold the gun the same way.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I like to rest the the fore stock in my hand rather than gripping it. My reasoning is that if I flinch, I can't pull the barrel downwards if I'm not gripping it. Trust me, the gun won't jump out of your hands if you are not gripping it.
Or maybe I'm just less likely to stop my swing if I grip this way, or it might just be a "lucky shirt" type of thing that I only do because I once shot a really good score holding it that way, I dunno.

·
Registered
732 Posts
mudpack has it right. The idea is "pointing" a shotgun and you knew how to do it before you could walk. Not all of the international shooters do it, but most do. There are also mechanical reasons with the muscles in your arm. Try it both ways and see which way puts more tension in the muscles. Less tension = more speed = breaking targets earlier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.