Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did a good thing, I'm just sure of it. She's a lovely 1954, tiger-striped walnut, wormy buttplate, "solid" rib, 28" mod barrel. There is some light rust- what's the best way to deal with that? Steel wool & oil? I'll need to take 'er all apart and detail clean her innards, maybe install a new action spring. I had to replace the brass friction piece, the old one was abused with pliers I think, but she's ready now for some action.

Where can one find inexpensive shells in 16? My local store had one box of high brass federals for $40. I thought they needed them worse than me, so I left them there. anyone have a favorite? We lost Sportsman's Warehouse in Tallahassee, so I'll need to order it.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
442 Posts
I find Dick's to have the best prices here (Charlotte NC) on D&Q loads.

Sometimes they have a mail in refund of $ 1 per box if you buy 10 boxes.

Richard

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I have four 16 ga SXS and feel your pain. My local Walmart has Rem game loads, 1 oz #7 1/2 for just under $7 a box. I picked up a flat of Federal 1 oz #7 1/2 at Academy last fall for slightly over $7 a box. I ordered a couple of cases of Rio 1 oz #8 loads off a flier I got in the mail and with shipping and hazardous charges they came in at just over $7 a box.

My advice is keep your eyes and ears open and then get them before the hoarders do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riflemeister, how do you like the Rio loads? I still haven't shot this gun. I bought a couple boxes of #6 from Walmart (it's what they had), but my range doesn't allow anything larger than 7.5... thank goodness I took a 12 ga. along too!

NUTS!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having 2 16's I begin to have the same problems, I finally solved that by buying a Mec sizemaster in 16 ga and started to reload my own. I think I have found a place in florida that sells 16 ga hulls. If I get luckly I will put the address on here. In the meantime around $7.00 a box is what I find local (Dallas area)

·
Registered
240 Posts
A5 Dave said:
Well, I did a good thing, I'm just sure of it. She's a lovely 1954, tiger-striped walnut, wormy buttplate, "solid" rib, 28" mod barrel. I plan to take pictures, but it's been rainy and overcast all week.

Where can one find inexpensive shells in 16? My local store had one box of high brass federals for $40. I thought they needed them worse than me, so I left them there. So far some of the best deals I've found are:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=217137
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=109535

anyone have a favorite? We lost Sportsman's Warehouse in Tallahassee, so I'll need to order it.

Regards,
Dave
You best bet now that you have a 16 ga. is get get an inexpensive reloader (someone suggested a MEC Sizemaster). Pick up a couple of flats of Remington's and you will have some decent hulls for reloading. And you won't be limited to poor or limited stock/availability down the road. Chances are that what you roll as your own will be loads you can't find/buy.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Start by looking in the super store's like wally world they have a sporting goods dept. and many times after hunting season all the ammo go's on sale. In Michigan we have Meijer store's toward the end of summer shells go on sale and they carry 16 ga. The last box I bought was Winchester Super X 2 1/2 Dr.-1oz.-#6 shot, the price was $5, should have bought more than what I did!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies- a loader is in my future, but for now a case of 1 1/8 oz #7.5 manuf. by Rio is on the way from Able's. That'll last me the weekend....

Dave

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wow, that's a beautiful gun! I love the solid rib and wood. Wish I had one just like it. I really enjoy shooting my model 11 remington 16 gauge that I had a limbsaver pad put on for softness and because I needed the extra length on the stock. I get my shells at walmart but strangely enough, they don't all carry them. Seems like I paid about $6 a box for light loads. I guess I'm going to try buying several boxes when I can find them cheap. It appears they're getting hard to find again.
Later,
JBJ

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's a beautiful gun you have there, Dave. The forearm strikes me in particular. Wonderful color. Congratulations!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. The wood is in particular what caught my eye, then I noticed the solid rib, which is a feature I especially like. Then I noticed the gauge... and passed on it the first gunshow I saw it at! Well, it was still there the following show, how I'm not sure, and I nabbed it. The other reason I picked it up was that the stock was not cut. So many used A5s have recoil pads installed, it's hard to find a whole one.

I'm eagerly awaiting my case of shells so I can take 'er to the dove fields. I guess the 12 or 20 will have to do for this weekend. Nice to have options.

Dave

·
Registered
30,237 Posts
Gawd. Imagine a time when Auto Fives made and finished like that were the cheap Brownings. The Superposed were the only other shotguns from Browning, and they cost nearly three hundred bucks,,,making the Auto Fives for less than half that the cheaper ones made for the mass market. :wink:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not only is the wood superb, but from the pics I would say you found one that has been very well taken care of, the blue looks very good also !! CONGRATS !! One of the finest vintage A5 produced. Let us know how it shoots, and more pics would be nice !!
Thanks for sharing !!

I have had good luck soaking the surface with penetrant such as aerokroil.
kerosene also works wonders, just take care to keep them off the wood, I would only use cotton to buff it down after soaking the surface with kerosene for 24 hrs, this will probably take most of the surface rust off without any damage, more stubborn areas may require you try a scotch brite pad soaked in solvent or penetrant but go real easy on the touch, or the finest "bronze" wool you can find, again soaked with penetrant go very easy on the touch so as not to disturb the bluing, just be very patient and let the oils & penetrants do the work, above all preserve the original finish and bluing just remove the rust in tiny increments, a coat of oil and a few months polishing with dry cotton or flannel weekly will usually do the trick without any damage to the finish.
After you get rid of the rust you can clean that gorgeous wood with a degreasing dish soap such as dawn, pay special attention to the end grains and oil soaked areas where the receiver and stock meet, warm rinse with a sponge to remove any soap residue, immediately towel dry, let sit for 24 hrs, wipe down with soaked rag of mineral spirits, immediately wipe dry with absorbent cotton, apply two coast of johnson's paste wax inside and out of the stock and fore arm and you will be ready to go !!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very nice gun Dave, and with a solid rib. I have one with a VR 28" Mod., lucked out and picked up a 26" matte rib IC Belgian barrel. I am funny I guess but they look better with a solid rib or matte then with the VR. Used to shooting SxSs so VRs are mox nix to me, but solid ribs I like.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I finally got to shoot the sweet 16 yesterday. First dove hunt this year (2nd in lifetime), first time shooting this gun, first shot = my first dove ever. Clean kill. The Rio 1-1/8 oz. loads did the trick. No idea how long this sweet has been languishing under cover, but she got to stretch her legs in the field again. I have got a new favorite for sure, so long as I can keep her in shells.

Dave

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Dave,

You have a classic A5! Shoot it well !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts