Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Scott,

I saw that a week or two ago and had a good chuckle... :lol:

I don't see that gun going for anywhere near that price, (unless someone is literally buying it for the novelty of the Tar-Hunt name).

If anyone is spending that kind of money to buy a rifle from a noted rifled shotgun maker, they should at least buy it from the shop of the inventor of the top of the line dedicated slug guns...not Tar-Hunt....but Mark Bansner... :shock:

I think anyone that is familiar with the work of the top riflesmiths in the country would agree that Bansner, (also inventor of the SSG-1), is by far the more respected riflesmith when compared to Randy Fritz.

So, when looking at that Tar-Hunt the first thing that should come to mind is...for the over-priced asking price of that Tar-Hunt...How much better could one do by purchasing a fairly valued Bansner? (Alot... :wink: )

JC

(I should also disclose I own guns by both of these guys so it is not that dislike either...I am only pointing out that that each has there current strengths and weaknesses, and thier guns will hold thier future values accordingly...)

Here is just one example of Bansner that just sold at a comparable asking price to that Tar-Hunt...and is absolutely loaded with the all of the custom features that add value to high end rifles....(all of which are sadly missing from the Tar-Hunt.)

Gun sold for $2700...

This like new rifle is built on a blueprinted rem. model 700 action, it has a 24" Lilja barrel with a barrel band swivel stud and a NECG banded front sight and fully adjustable express rear sight. It also has Talley mounts with a removable peep sight. the stock is synthetic and has two swivel studs pillar bedding and is fully floated. the box magazine is by Sunny Hill. the finish is polymer ti coat. there are only 2 1/2 boxes of ammo through it, it is sub MOA accurate. 8 boxes of ammo included.It cost $5995 new. thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
JC quote:
(I should also disclose I own guns by both of these guys so it is not that dislike either...I am only pointing out that that each has there current strengths and weaknesses, and thier guns will hold thier future values accordingly...)

next quote:there are only 2 1/2 boxes of ammo through it, it is sub MOA accurate. 8 boxes of ammo included.It cost $5995 new.

Finally, third and last quote:Gun sold for $2700...

Perfect example of why I would never buy a custom gun new. The prices are expensive and (in this instance) was sold for less than half the purchase price after very little use.

I agree with JC about looking @ good used guns versus new. In many cases, you can save a bunch of money. Especially right now. Hunting seasons are closing and many people are selling guns.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree completely! High end guns are a great way to lose your a$$ in a hurry. A good example of a nice (non-custom)gun that was way overpriced new is my Anschutz 1717D HB Meistergrade that I just bought used. This little rimfire lists for $1899 and normally sells for around $1500! I picked it up barely used for $750, owner said he put a box and a half of shells through it. It looks immaculate! Not sure why the guy decided to lose half what he paid for the gun new but I sure don't mind helping out and buying this little darling. CRAZY!!!

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Didn't Randy design his own action for the DSG?

I think it was him and Gayle that came up with it actually.

Didn't Bansner used a mauser action at first.

How can you compare a $6,000 rifle to basically a $3,500
one?
I might be mistaken, but I doubt the tar-hunt rifle was $6,000 new.
I also don't see the Tar-Hunt name as a novelty.

Randy's been building benchrest rifle's since the early 80's.

Bansner beat him by about a year on introducing a RSG.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.