Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no association with this seller. Looks really clean and decent price.

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
laxfrommc said:
is there a link or something I'm missing?
Unless a buyer was already in the market for one of these guns I do not see the 800$ mimimun bid as an attractive purchasing price.

For that amount of money you could purchase a new Savage 210 fully outfitted with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 scope, rings, etc, and very likely achieve equal, (and possibly better), accuracy when compared to that DSG...IMHO

JC

To answer your question LAX here is the link...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=87132322

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disagree. This is as nearly new Wingmaster DSG, $1200 gun for $800. The new Savage I looked at Saturday had sloppy action, a flimsy stock, and a price tag of $485. Add a decent Mcmillan stock to the tune of $400 and have some work done on the action for another $100-200 and you have alot of money in a decent slug gun, or this superb one for the opening bid of $800. My humble opinion, of course.

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
W00DSHED said:
Add a decent Mcmillan stock to the tune of $400 and have some work done on the action for another $100-200
I would take a new Savage 210 with a Mcmillan stock and an accurized action over a used Remington 870 auto with no action work, a two piece stock, and a Ported (ouch!...Say what?) barrel any day of the week.

JC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll admit you are probably right as far as Savage vs. 870 goes but I am a huge sucker for pump guns. I miss my Ithaca DSII so bad that I had to think long and hard over bidding on the DSIII on Gunbroker right now. In a perfect world I could have RSG accuracy and handling out of a Deerslayer. I have been looking at the Benelli Supernova's with Shaw 1-28 barrels lately, shot my father-in-laws (Benelli) duck gun and fell in love.

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
W00DSHED said:
This is as nearly new Wingmaster DSG, $1200 gun for $800.

Scott
This is a point I have to disagree on as well...this is not a $1200 gun. (That may be what Tar-Hunt charges for some similar models brand new from the shop, but this gun is not brand new nor is its replacement cost anywhere near $1200).

Case in point...

Used Wingmaster 870...$275
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=86224745

Tar-Hunt DSG conversion cost..$495
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/ecatalog ... n=18175448

Estimated Shipping Costs + taxes + FFL transfer fees...$150

Total replacement cost, (Tar-Hunt "Brand New)...$925

JC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
W00DSHED said:
Actually this gun was "built" from new in 2006 and barely used.
Where do you see that this gun was built from a new 870 Wingmaster?....

(Why would anyone buy a brand new gun so they could through away the barrel, and the stock, and then pay $100 to have the trigger redone. In other words...by your calculations you are saying you believe that a factory wingmaster receiver with a polished trigger was worth $800 to the value of this gun as new? ) (If you do I have some wingmaster recievers and triggers for sale for you... :wink: )

JC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "ask seller a question" button is your friend. I am just stating the information that has been made available to me by the seller, not my problem if you have a problem with reality. Still seems like a good price to me and I don't even need another slug gun (for now).

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
W00DSHED said:
The "ask seller a question" button is your friend. I am just stating the information that has been made available to me by the seller, not my problem if you have a problem with reality. Still seems like a good price to me and I don't even need another slug gun (for now).

Scott
Sorry Scott,

Being a regular participant of the auction sites, I do not send "private messages" to sellers of guns I have no interest in buying. I do not expect to recieve those type of "fishing" messages when I am selling a gun, nor do I believe it is right to send those to others.

As for theoretical calculation of the value of the gun. How is this gun any different than the following setup that can be ordered directly from Tar-Hunt...?

Tar-Hunt DSG Express Synthetic....$799

Monte Carlo stock upgrade....$10

Over priced trigger job....$95...(this doesn't even come included with the price of the standard model? or at least a discount?)

Sling studs...25$

Total Cost...."Tar- Hunt Brand-new".....$920

JC

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
W00DSHED said:
I am just stating the information that has been made available to me by the seller
BTW,

Just to be clear...you are saying the seller stated "this gun was built on a "on a NEW WINGMASTER in 2006", or did he say "this gun was built on a "wingmaster NEW IN 2006". Finally, if he did in fact state it was a "NEW WINGMASTER", was that a new wingmaster gun...or did he just just get the receiver somehow?

JC

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is this gun any different than the following setup that can be ordered directly from Tar-Hunt...?
I think you answered your own question. This is a Wingmaster, you are talking about an Express. Apple/orange. If you care to discuss the finer points of the two models go to the "I love Reingtons" forum, basically the Wingmaster gets more hands on attention and polishing, and oh yeah, it's more money. Not trying to get your goat or anything, just defending my position. I should also mention tht I am contemplating placing a bid on this gun as I doubt anybody else will and I feel $800 is a decent price for this gun.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He stated it was "built new in 2006". I didn't interrogate him nay further on the comment.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I asked the seller for a clarification on the origin of this gun:

This was upfitted in 2006 by Tar-Hunt from a Wingmaster Magnum that had only minor use. In addition to Tar-Hunt's test firing I have only fired 14 rounds through the gun. This would defintely make a nice companion to your RSG. Thanks for your interest and please let me know if I can provide any additional info.
Now JC can rest easy and not worry his pretty little head off about the details.

Scott

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Wingmaster gets more hands on attention and polishing, and oh yeah, it's more money.
Ok...so by your calculations a DSG with a "wingmaster" action in this configuration is worth $1432

Meanwhile the same DSG built on an "express" action actually sells for only $925.

Or in other words...you are trying to say that the extra "hands on attention and polishing" the wingmaster action alone receives, (remember most of the added attention and polishing that goes into the wingmaster is actually done on the stock and barrel finish which have been discarded while building the DSG), is worth an additional $500...Or stated more clearly that the DSG built on a wingmaster action is somehow worth 53% more than one built on an express action?

JC

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
jjas said:
Seems like an awful lot of ***** baggin' about a gun neither one of you is going to buy! :lol:

Jim
Not a matter of *****in at all...Simply a matter of getting the facts straight so anyone that considers purchasing this gun, (Woodshed included) can make an honest assement of its original value, its current value and its replacement value...(the three most important factors when purchasing a used firearm that a buyer would otherwise not be considering purchasing new.) (As stated in my orginal post, if anyone was already considering buying one of these new..then unquestionably this gun is a deal...the question that is open for debate is whether the $800 price tag represents a sufficient discount from fair value to justify buying this gun when the buyer would not otherwise be interested in the gun at a retail price.)

JC

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
jcchartboy said:
jjas said:
Seems like an awful lot of ***** baggin' about a gun neither one of you is going to buy! :lol:

Jim
Not a matter of *****in at all...Simply a matter of getting the facts straight so anyone that considers purchasing this gun, (Woodshed included) can make an honest assement of its original value, its current value and its replacement value...(the three most important factors when purchasing a used firearm that a buyer would otherwise not be considering purchasing new.) (As stated in my orginal post, if anyone was already considering buying one of these new..then unquestionably this gun is a deal...the question that is open for debate is whether the $800 price tag represents a sufficient discount from fair value to justify buying this gun when the buyer would not otherwise be interested in the gun at a retail price.)

JC
Just giving you guys a bit of grief, that's all. :wink:

Jim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts