Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am trying to determine if a Fox Sterlingworth in the 60xxx sn range should have a slotted hinge pin, or if this is maybe a replacement? Thanks - Chuck

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Probably original.

I have a "pin gun" (588xx) from late 1911. Although pin guns over 60xxx are somewhat rare, in the book "A.H. Fox - The Finest Gun in the World", Michael McIntosh mentions specific pin guns in the 60xxx range, and one at 62262. I few "leftovers" even became graded guns.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I've been recording observed Sterlingworths since we were working on the Fox book with McIntosh. I've observed "pin guns" up to 62,244, while Mike claimed to have seen one a bit higher. The lowest serial number I've recorded with a smooth dressd hinge pin is 61,960. The highest number "pin guns" I've recorded appear to have a pressed in pin with no slot on either side.

I've never seen or even heard of a documented graded A.H. Fox Gun Co. gun with a recessed hinge pin. I've seen several after-market upgrades though. Even one where they tig-welded in the last digit of the serial number to give a 6xxx number which would be a proper graded 12-gauge serial number!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts