Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion of this gun? I was at one of my local shops about a month ago and liked this gun but do not know much about it in terms of reliability, etc. I was very light and liked some of the other features. I've not seen much about these on this forum ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
:D It's a great upland gun, light points well and the recoil operation is easy to clean. Just remember to assemble the rings correctly for the loads that you use and it wont give you any problems.

G

·
Great bird gun. Easy to carry all day. One of my friends pointed out, however, when you shoot it, you know definitely know the gun went off.
cdc

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've got one in 12ga. and it is as dependable as any. It does kick a little though.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
I can't think of a better upland semi than the AL48. I would say the Benelli Montefeltro is a close second. The AL 48 is based off the Browning Auto-5 long recoil operation. They are very dependable and easy to maintain. I have one in 12 gauge that is used for upland. It will take some time to break in the action before it cycles reliabilly. If you get one shoot 200 rounds of heavy field loads to break in the action. During unloading you can't just "rack" the rounds like most other semi's. You'll need to flip to gun over and press the magazine release inside the receiver to release the rounds in the magazine.

G

·
:( :lol: I bought a new Franchi Al 48 20 gauge shotgun app. 2 years ago. When I first started shooting the gun, It would hang up. Sometimes it would not eject the spent round. There were several times it would not bring another loaded shell up to the chamber. I thought OK, new gun, maybe it needs cleaned better. I was a mechanic for 32 years, so taking a shotgun apart & putting it back togather was a piece of cake. Especially this one. Its very simple & straight forward. Maybe it just needs shot to break it in. I shot about 10 boxes of shells (high quality 2 3/4 dram) through this thing. It still hung up 5-7 times in 2 boxes of shells. I sent it back to the factory, They checked it out & said I needed to shoot a high quality shell through it , hold the gun tight to my shoulder & keep the magazine tube clean & dry. The same things I had been doing. I finally e-mailed the folks at Gun Test Magazine to see if they would like to use it as a test gun. They said yes, So I shipped the gun to them in March of 04. They had the gun about 6 months. You can read their article in the August edition of 2004. Their conclusion was the same as mine, The gun would not work properly. Now I have read on forums of about 6 different owners of this shotgun (all 20 gauge) that have had the same problem. When I recieved the shotgun back from Gun Test, I was about resolved to get rid of it. I hated the idea of trading it off & some other sucker getting it & having the same problem. I decided I was going to work on this thing untill I figured out what the problemS were. The first thing ,it was not kicking the spent case out. I solved this problem by honing the inside of the brass ring. I then sanded the magazine tube with 220 grit going around &around the tube. I would put the brass ring & outer spring on the tube & run it up & down to see if any shiney spots developed. If they did, sand some more. The brass ring got to where it was shiney all the way around the inside if it. I took it out & fired the shotgun. Every round would then eject. Next problem, Not bringing a loaded shell up from the table. I figured this had something to do with the lever on the left side that is operated by the release button. I tried bending it out, this made the problem even bigger. I drove the pin up into the reciever to be able to take out the lever & flat spring. I do not reccomend doing this on your own unless you feel very confident about getting it back together. I don't claim to be a gunsmith, but I work on alot of shotguns(cleaning, putting ones back together that others have taken apart) The biggest problem is getting the spring back in properly. To flatten the lever, try taking two pair of channel locks & wrapping them with several rounds of electrical tape on both jaws. This will keep the jaws from scratching the reciever of the gun. You will have to do this to both pair of channel locks. One pair for one end of the lever & one pair for the other. Once you think you have flattened it, take the shotgun out & see if it will cycle. If it still won't consistently bring a shell up from the magazine & load it into the barrel, then flatten it somemore. Its a good idea to try & get some kind of measurement on how far the lever sticks out.Or you could take a copy of this letter to a good gunsmith & see if he will do it for you. The first time I flattened the spring, I flattened it to much & the shells would drop out the bottom of the reciever when the gun was fired. I bent it up just slightly & low & behold it went to working. I then fired 7 groups of 5 shells each without a hangup. I have since fired 9-10 boxes through it & am pleased as punch. I hunt Chuckers here in Idaho. We cover some pretty nasty looking country. If after hicking 2 hours or so, the one thing you don't want is a bird friendly shotgun. I like the shotgun now. Its to bad Franchi does not put the finishing touch on this shotgun. Right now this gun retails for $719.00. Thats to much to pay for one that will not shoot consistently.Good Luck, FISHIN DAVE

·
Registered
775 Posts
Dave,

It's too bad you had such a difficult time with your franchi and didn't get it fixed at franchi. Having said that, I've had a 48AL for about 2 1/2 years. The only problems I had with the gun were related to my reloads when the gun was new. Once I figured out the load, the gun performed great. I've had no problems with mine after an estimated 15,000 rounds through it. It's so simple that there's not much that can go wrong with it. I've thought about getting another one in 28ga but I don't like chasing spent shells around anymore.

Keith

G

·
I agree....with my 28ga. AL I am always careful to scrape up all spent hulls.....they are a s rare as hens teeth!!!

G

·
Dave,

I have the same troubles on my 48 A/L 20 ga. 26 in. IC. Depends on the ammo though. Not being mecanically inclined, I reverted to a former love as far as light guns are concerned. I now use mostly my Ithaca 37 Ultralight - alloy receiver - for light upland, nine ounces heavier than the Franchi, no jams ever. And no disconnector! But then I'd paid 150$ for the 48.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love this gun. Traded a guy a 22 revolver I rarely shot for it. It is reliable and so light. I have hunted squirrel, dove, clays and woodcock with it. I was shocked how light the recoil was. But my wife hates it. She think it kicks you twice. The initial pow then the barrel going into the receiver pow. I have a 20 gauge. Out of all the shotguns I own this is my first choice for hunting. Second choice is my 37.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
I have been using the same model 48 for almost 60 years with absolutely no problems. The model 48 is the cat's meow in my opinion, especially in 20 gauge. I have really used it over the years for upland game. Replaced one part about 10 years ago, the extractor. Cost me $12 and 5 minutes to install it.

Fishing Dave, great article but do me a favor. Use a few paragraphs. It is hard for me to grasp your information the way you write. Break it up with some paragraphs. You have good info. Not trying to be critical but every time you get a chance leave a line between your thoughts. Love your post about the 48. {hs#

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
ken59 said:
Anyone have an opinion of this gun?
I do... it is one of my all-time favorite firearms. It is light as a feather and points like it's part of me. Since I bought mine, my 20ga. Beretta AL391 and 28ga. Beretta SPI don't get out of the safe as much as they used to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still have mine and my dad's that were purchased in 1979. My father's gun weighted 5.2 pounds and mined weighted 5.6 pounds on a baby scale. The difference in weight was the density of the wood. The barrels weighted the same. We shot a lot of Pheasants with them.
Both were 20 ga. improved cylinder. I can't remember either of us having problems with them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love My 20ga.....that being said the first 12 replies to this post were from 2003-2004..wonder if any of these guys are still around...?? :shock: :lol: :lol: .

·
Registered
28,051 Posts
evbutler said:
I have been using the same model 48 for almost 60 years with absolutely no problems. The model 48 is the cat's meow in my opinion, especially in 20 gauge. I have really used it over the years for upland game. Replaced one part about 10 years ago, the extractor. Cost me $12 and 5 minutes to install it.
Evan Butler is more than just around-- he's right here.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Growing up as a young man in Ada, Oklahoma in the late 1960s I came to know very well one Harry "the Cat" Brecheen. Harry was a star pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals back in the 1940s and pitched in more than one World Series game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Brecheen

One thing that I recall about him is the fact that he was an avid hunter of bobwhite quail and I mean AVID! In those days in Oklahoma, the department of Game and Fish designated "Bird Days" meaning that you could only hunt quail on designated days of the week. On a bird day, Harry would be in the field with his dogs and his Franchi 20 ga shotgun and he usually came home with his limit.

I once asked him why he hunted with a Franchi instead of the Browning Auto 5s that almost everyone else used, and he told me that the Franchi was light to carry and he always took three guns on a hunting trip because when one would fail or jam or quit functioning in some way, he had two others as backup guns. I always though that as both unusual and funny. I will never forget him telling me that. Incidentally he pronounced them as "French-ie"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to see a recent posting on the Franchi m48 AL.
I just got one at a local gun show. I saw one at a gun store near me a few years ago. Didn't know much about them so I hurried home to do some research on them. I liked what I read about them and went back to the store and it was gone.So much for that.

In regard to some of the problems some people are having with their guns. I've had a few Remington 11/48s that had seen better days and it didn't seem to matter how you positioned the friction rings they just worked. Same with the the old A5 that I had. Now this 48AL is much newer and the friction rings much tighter than the old recoil operated scatterguns I owned before.

I really think this is the problem most people are having. The friction ring the bronze one with the snap ring is very tight on mine. I can only get the lighter 7/8 oz to work in the gun using the light load configuration. The 1 oz loads work fine in the heavy load mode, even though they are only standard field loads. Years ago we always used heavy loads in our hunting guns but now more people seem to use lighter loads. I think if more of these guns had some shooting time on them they would work better. Maybe even lapping the ID of that bronze bushing with some very fine sandpaper might help. Anyway looking forward to using this little scattergun next bird season and maybe on some rabbits this winter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts