Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12ga. Franchi AL/48,I really like this gun because it weighs next to nothing and can be brought to bear instantly and it shoots right where I want it to.A problem-------it is not reloading(cycling)a round into the chamber.I need to know a.)is it too light of a load? b.)is there an adjustment? I know this is a Browning design identical to the A-5,but its spring preload is probably much different due to its light weight.Can someone help?I am itching to use this now during small game season.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ovrundr said:
I have a 12ga. Franchi AL/48,I really like this gun because it weighs next to nothing and can be brought to bear instantly and it shoots right where I want it to.A problem-------it is not reloading(cycling)a round into the chamber.I need to know a.)is it too light of a load? b.)is there an adjustment? I know this is a Browning design identical to the A-5,but its spring preload is probably much different due to its light weight.Can someone help?I am itching to use this now during small game season.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have a Franchi 48 in 28 gauge. I only have a couple of loads I can shoot through it .....but I reload my own....I suggest you try a little heavier load for your 12 gauge. My experience has been very good with mine. Never had a recycle problem.

·
Registered
893 Posts
1) What load are you using when the gun fails to cycle?
2) Is the magazine tube clean and dry?
3) Are the friction components in the proper order on the mag tube? (Order should be: receiver-spring-bevel ring-brass friction ring-barrel hanger. Also, the bevel ring is reversible for light/heavy loads: bevel toward friction ring for heavier loads, away from friction ring for lighter loads.)

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went out hunting yesterday w/AL48 and with the heavier loads it worked flawlessly.....used Rem. heavy game loads and Win.2 3/4" Mags........

·
Registered
893 Posts
Glad to hear all's A-OK. The long-recoil action on the 48AL takes just that to operate- recoil. Sounds as if the 7/8oz loads just lacked the punch to operate the action.

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another possibility is how tight you hold it to your shoulder--it needs a good surface to recoil against to cycle reliably. I have a friend that got a 20 ga. for his wife--like you said, it's light. Met with a Benelli sales rep and he indicated it's the lightest autoloader, period! Anyway, his wife was having problems with it cycling properly, her shooting coach diagnosed the problem, and now it cycles fine for her!

Its good that heavier loads cycle better, but it's nice to be able use use those light economical target loads too! :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just bought a used 20 ga. last week . shot 10 rounds so far of 2 1/2 dram eq. 6 shot . gun would not cycle with bevel in steel ring facing toward muzzel. i put bevel toward spring and it cycled just fine. i don't know this from personal experience with franchis but picked older remington 20 ga 1148 for stepson.the original owner had put grease ( gun slick ?) on magazine tube and bolt. the gun didn't want to cycle. after cleaning put some break free lube on same and it worked just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts