Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any "hands-on" experience with this gun? I'm in the market for a 28 ga. auto. Seems choices in new guns are limited to the Remington 1100 Classic Field or Sporting and the Franchi. I'm driving to the nearest dealer tomorrow to get one in my hands (if they have it in stock). I'll be using it mostly for small game hunting. I really should stick with the Stoeger Uplander I already own but I have GBS (gun buying syndrome) and it looks to be terminal. Thanks. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Both guns are excellent choices. The Franchi is lighter, but some consider that a disadvantage.

One problem with both guns is they tend to throw empties into the next county! It can get expensive with 28 hulls if you are a reloader!!

BobK

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went through this same dilemma about a month ago. After looking at the Franchi and the Remington (neither of which felt good in my hands) I ended up buying a BPS in 28ga with a 28" barrell. It was no auto - but probably the smoothest of the 3 pump guns I own. Better yet - the empties are right at your feet when you shuck them out. Charles Daly and BSA also make a semi-auto in 28ga, but I haven't heard all good things about them. Good Luck and let us know what you end up with and how it shoots.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
At the $500 price point, you are also now considering the Verona LX 501 (made by I. Rizzini).

At that price, I'd get a Verona long before any semi auto.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deadapair, I rather had my heart set on an autoloader. MSRP for the LX501 is $969.72. I realise that doesn't mean much, but gunbroker had only one used 501 listed--bid was $400 and reserve not met. Jerry's had only the 410 in the 501 series and it was $649.50--wholesale. Since I no longer have an FFL I can only buy ammo and accessories from wholesalers. Since I already have the little Stoeger, I wanted something different to shoot, namely, an autoloader. I've been considering a used 11-48 if I can find one in good shape without a rib or any addon chokes hanging on the barrel. Used 1100's are way too high, and almost all have ribs. At least if I bought an 1100 I could get another plain barrel for about $150, possibly trade a vent barrel for it. Thanks for the info on Veronas though, I'd never looked at them before. Now if I had $1200 stashed somewhere I might go for the 28/410 combo. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HuntNShoot,
I have a 48 AL 28 ga and I have a Verona LX 501. My Franchi fits me perfectly. I average 23/25 on skeet with it. I've taken dove and quail with it. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that shoots as nice as this one. All that being said, My LX 501 is an awesome gun as well. I wouldn't trade either one for any gun on the market. I know some will call me crazy, but these guns fit and thats most important. If you want an autoloader, get the Franchi. If you want and O/U get the Verona.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rok, thanks for the imput. I'm looking forward to checking one out tomorrow.

dead, there are four listed on gunbroker. I have them all on my watch list: $599 (field, used), 595 (sporting), 505 (sporting-reserve not met), and 625 (sporting-near mint). The very first thing I do every morning is check gunbroker. I've never seen one for 400 or less or I wouldn't still be looking. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
HuntNshoot said:
rok, thanks for the imput. I'm looking forward to checking one out tomorrow.

dead, there are four listed on gunbroker. I have them all on my watch list: $599 (field, used), 595 (sporting), 505 (sporting-reserve not met), and 625 (sporting-near mint). The very first thing I do every morning is check gunbroker. I've never seen one for 400 or less or I wouldn't still be looking. Good hunting and good luck.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=40798860

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=41115629

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=41019351

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=41154260

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice of you to go to all that trouble. I'm looking for a 28ga. gun, as stated in my original post. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BobK, yes, but it wouldn't have matered if there had been a 28ga. among them--I couldn't buy a synthetic-stocked gun. I have one, a Savage 24F in 22Hornet/12ga. It's about as comfortable in my hands as a chunk of frozen liver. It's a great gun for calling in coyotes, and I don't have to wrap the barrel and stock in foam for the rack on my 4-wheeler like I do with my other guns, but my is it ugly! I'm not knocking synthetics for their purpose or functionality--I'm just a blued-steel and walnut guy. Good hunting and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts