Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gun store and the clerk was saying that franchi made a very bad with horrible service. Is this true because they seem like good guns and i know people who have older franchi's for 20 plus years with no problems. ANY REPLIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED

·
Registered
184 Posts
I heard the same. But it could be true. Those Franchi's 20-30-40 years ago, I'm sure, was better built. To get the same quality today, would take a platinum credit card. A friend had a Franchi just a few years back, and it kept breaking down. He said it contained nylon parts and they wore down quick.
Go figure..... :?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Um NO, Franchi is an incredible gun. Part of the Beretta Conglomerate and one of their better gun makers. I doubt you'd find a better gun for the price.

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
The Franchi 48AL is a good, lightweight, sturdy, recoil operated autoloader. They are just super for carrying while hunting due to their light weight. They are basically the same design as the Browning A-5. I wouldn't recommend them for goose loads due to their light weight, but for upland hunting they are very nice. There is nothing nylon in them as far as I know unless some lady gets her hose caught in the bolt when it slams shut. :lol: I've had mine apart numerous times and found no nylon. Franchi has been making this very same gun since 1948 and there are plenty that are 30 or 40 years old that are still being used regularly.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
My Franchi is not the AL-48. It is a Veloce! It is a fine piece! I looked at all the big name O/Us before I decided to buy it! I'm not sure whether it is perfect or not! It may have doubled on me once, maybe it was me. It may have had a failuer to fire on the second shot once, maybe it was me? I'd buy another Franchi in a heartbeat. IF the service is poor it is probably because the same service location does the service on Beretta and Benelli and I suppose just keeping them shooting is a full time job. Being in the service business myself, I can identify with the problems associated with impatient, demanding customers who more times than not are rude and wrong about thier problem. If you/they don't get the impossible imediatly, right away you/they have bad service! For every story about bad service you hear there are usually a hundered about good service you don't hear! So far I've never needed service on ANY gun I have. Maybe my Franchi will be the first??

BP

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Franchi 612VS Semi-auto gas operated shotgun. It has a 3" chamber and you can set the gas piston for light or heavy loads. The gas piston and recoil spring is located in the forearm which makes it real easy to take down and clean. Mine has cycled everything that I have thrown at it...from 1oz light reloads to the 3" magnum stuff without a single hiccup. I patterned the gun and it is dead on the money accurate. I think this is one great designed gun.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Franchi is one of the best-kept secrets in the shotguning world- although the word is getting out. Anyone who says they make poor products is misinformed or maybe has a plan to sell another brand.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Mark,
You don't have to choose between the 20 and 28 gauge in Franchi.

I know this is not helping by the way.

But the Veloce can be ordered in a 20/28 combo two barrel set.

Now it should be really easy to talk yourself into it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Franchi 912 and it has been flawless. Lots of great features and very well made. Part of the Beretta, Benelli family. I have a number of other "name" guns (Browning, Beretta, Miroku) and the 912 is the I usually grab when I am going duck hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just purchased a Franchi Alcione Field model less than a month ago. The break is very tight which I suppose will wear in over time, but I just had to take the gun back to the dealer to have serviced. The problem is the bottom barrel ejector is very sloppy and after a shot is fired and the empty is ejected, the new cartridge will sometimes fall past the ejector and is a major pain to get back out. I love the gun otherwise and am very happy with the balance and look of the gun, I hope the situation can be resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Franchi 612 synthetic camo. I agree with Hawkeye, these are under rated guns and are just as well made as the Benellis. Mine is new so I do not have a lot of of experience with it yet. However, it is very tight, well machined, and balanced. I know several other shooters that have Veloces,
Al 48's and 912's. None have experienced any problems. I do not think you will be sorry if you purchase one as long as it fits you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used a Franchi 48AL, old enough to have been imported by Stoeger Industries, for several years for everything from sporting clays to squirrels and, except for the time I thought grease on the bolt rails was a good idea, it's performed flawlessly. I can imagine a better gun for upland birds, rabbits, or most small game. It's a little too light for duck loads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a 20 gauge Franchi Veloce last year and it would fire BOTh barrels about 1 out of 50 rounds. I sent it in for service and got it back and it wouldn't fire the second barrel about 1 out of 4 times. Sent it back again (went to the factory both times) and the second time around it apprears to be fixed. The last time we went hunting my wife was using it and said the safety kicked on after the first shot. I'm not sure if she did it or if it was the recoil. So I guess it'll be off to the clays range to test it.

In short, I love the gun (when it works) but I'm not sure if I got a jinx gun or if Franchi is the problem. All the workmanship seems great, but the mechanics??? I don't know. This has been my experience. I just know I NEVER had ANY problem with my two Citoris. I would recommend the Franchi to anyone, but before I'd buy another I'd do some checking on "consumer complaints" to be sure first.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I sure like my 620 auto-loader. If it didn't make noise when you pulled the trigger, you wouldn't know it fired due to the low recoil. It's light, handles well, and has not given me any trouble so far. Killed quail and clays with it since I bought it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.