Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I picked up a Fred Williams English SXS 12G, likely from around 1910-1920. It shoots very nicely out of the left barrel, but the other one has a broken firing pin. This is a captive free-floating pin, not held in with the disks at the front but by a set screw. I am attaching a photo of the two pins--there is a slight difference between them. Does anyone know if any company sells pins like this, or should I take it to my local gunsmith to have a new one made?

Thanks!

Ed

Flooring Wood Floor Font Musical instrument

Sports equipment Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument Wood

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If your local gunsmith is a real gunsmith with experience making and heat treating parts, I would have him turn out a few pins and fit one to your right barrel. Looking at the pins, they would not be very difficult to make. Be sure to get spares made so the new pin will last your lifetime. The laws of aggravation dictate that if you have spares, the part won't break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That could explain much. It also appears that one of the mainsprings is a little shorter than the other one ,so I wonder if it was replaced at some point as well. Not precisely certain what effect it would have except being shorter it will exert more pressure at any given point in the cocking cycle. Looking at them, I think the shorter one is the newer one.

Grey Fish Staple food Animal product Silver

Glasses Helmet Hood Sleeve Sunglasses

1 - 4 of 4 Posts