Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some good and bad news I got this week.

The bad news is there is a 75% chance that my company is moving me within the next 6 months. (When I took the job I was told that moves are a RARE thing.)

The good news is I get some say as to where I am going to go. I have not been told what areas of the country will be open to pick but can guess that the MIDWEST (IL, IN, OH), SOUTH (TX, FL) and the EAST (RI, Washington DC, VA) are going to be the places that will be open.

I think that CA is probably the worse place to own guns based on what I have read and seen on this board. I get the impression that TX and FL are very gun friendly. Any clue on the rest of the country? Is there a list somewhere of best freindly gun states?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know of any "gun friendly states list". But I can say that if New Jersey comes up as an option stay away. I don't think we're too far behind CA in our limitations. At any rate, good luck on your quest for information. And congradulations on your new chance of freedom!

·
Registered
181 Posts
New Jersey, NYC, DC, and Mass are all worse than CA. The south will probably be the most firearm friendly. Check out packing.org and browse the concealed and carry laws. That usually shows how enlightened they are.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Virginia is a really 'gun friendly' state, from what I hear. CCW (with permit) and also open carry is legal. I THINK it is a 'Right to Carry' state.
Do a search at the NRA's website. I'm sure they will have something to assist you.

As for Washington, DC. . . . Ha! :)
The most stringent laws on the book, and yet, why does it have the reputation of being Dodge City?

Keith

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The SW is ok except this state, but I'm gonna say TX and FL are both pretty much both good places for guns, possibly TX since there are more opens spaces to shoot outdoors.

even so, there is more blm land west of the rockies so I guess Fl people can answer up on that one.

Get ready to be able to carry a loaded gun in your car if you want to. In AZ, it can't be concealed or in the glove box. people used to just leave guns in holsters lying around on the seats or in gun racks during hunting season when I was in high school.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have some pretty horrible laws here in Illinois, depending on where you live. No statewide right to carry or CC, period. The state police require you to have a Firearm Owners ID card to buy or even HANDLE firearms and ammo. Five bucks for a couple of years isn't so bad, our idiot Governor has been trying to raise that to several hundred with no success since he was a states attorney, and I doubt he will be re-elected anyway due to a plague of scandals. Most cities are pretty decent about ownership, anywhere around Chicago though is harsh. Many towns have handgun bans that supercede state law, Chicago goes so far as to ban any "assault weapons" too, and that is actually a serious list, basically any semi-automatic rifle or shotgun, i believe, not like the cosmetic federal ban. Any gun that is chambered in a handgun caliber is also a no no. Get this, possesion of a laser sight will get you arrested, even if you have never owned a gun in your life. Some cities actually have bans on traveling through the township with a firearm unloaded, broken down, and cased, in your trunk. Now, Springfield did just pass a law stating that if you use a gun in legitmate self defense, you can not be prosecuted for violation of a municipal ban.

Floridas gun laws are great, I enjoyed living there. The weather is much better than Illinois, too. Indiana is pretty decent to, you can carry concealed, I believe without to much hassle. I would be interested in hearing a residents take on that, as I am thinking about moving that way myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i am moving to In on the 7th of january. i was reading up on the CCW in that state. apparintly the CCW is very liberal. its a shall issue state. but you do not need to take a gun safty course for the CCW. any person living in indiana, or working in indiana can apply for a CCW. i didnt get a chance to look at the rest of the gun laws yet. but from that statment i am thinking they are very frindly.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
Washington state.

Cons: No legal civilian full auto, SBR or SBS (DD ok, though [shrug])

Pros: Best state to live in for self defense. If the state tries you on a murder charge and you're found not guilty because of justifiable homicide, the state must by statute reimburse you for all reasonable legal fees.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Indiana, it is a shall issue state for CCW permits so if you are not a felon and have not commited a violent crime you qualify (no classes to take) . You can carry a long gun unconcealed when ever you want, and there are plenty of places to shoot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
States that I've sworn off in my next relocation in no particular order:

CA
NY
NJ
MA
CT
DC
MD
VA
IL
HI

Most of these states have pretty draconian gun laws and/or wacky, leftist governments.

Of the ones you've listed, I definitely say TX and FL are your best bet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
leftlaneguy said:
I live in LA, New Orleans to be exact..

actually, a very gun friendly state. ...
Except when there is a natural disaster, civil unrest, or breakdown of law and order.... Sorry, I couldn't resist! :roll:

·
Registered
159 Posts
plarkinjr said:
leftlaneguy said:
I live in LA, New Orleans to be exact..

actually, a very gun friendly state. ...
Except when there is a natural disaster, civil unrest, or breakdown of law and order.... Sorry, I couldn't resist! :roll:
Not to mention the local PD confiscating your guns when the above does happen! What a crock!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The Brady Campaign rates states based on their gun laws. You want to live in one that rates poorly if you can stomach going to their website. Just avoid these states:

Hawaii, Maryland, Mass, New Jersey, Connecticut and California have A-
New York and Illinois have a B+
Rhode Island and Nebraska have a B-

I would have never thought Michigan would rate a D+. GO MICHIGAN!!! :D

This PDF gives info on CCW and some other detailed categories.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/reportcards/2004/details.pdf

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info all.

I'm was not concern about CCW (actually am barely thinking of that). More alone the lines of HD. I know that FL's new castle law which states something to the effect that you do not have to retreat and you can shoot/kill someone ANYWHERE (it need not be at your home. You can defend yourself while in a tent camping) so long as your life is at danger is a very good gun law.

I was in IL for 2.5 years before moving to CA and was NOT aware of it's crazy laws. I did know that Chicago was one of those crazy citys that was bad for all gun owners.

Some of the possible locations/cities that I am hearing about in the pipeline are:

Indianapolis, IN
Chicago, IL (Would live in NW IN and commute into the city)
Peoria, IL
Quantico, VA

Anyone from Peoria, IL around here? Is it legal to own a SG there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
if it were me i would choose either texas, colorodo, arizona, idaho, montana, indiana, or washington state.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts