Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to rub out a gloss finish so it becomes matte after applying the finish and letting it dry. But is there a good way to take a gloss style finish like Chem-pak's Pro-Custom Oil ( a tung oil urethene blend) and cut it with something that will result in a matte finish upon drying? Can this be done without making the finish cloudy or milky? Or causing other problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You could possibly try throwing in a small amount of matte-finish urethane. You probably will be more satisfied with the shiny finish that you then rub dull. Dull finish varnishes have cloudy stuff in them. Unfortunately there really is no easy way to get the finish one wants in woodworking! Time and elbow grease!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
bharsha said:
Kingj - have you tried this? How/why does it work? What is the downside?
I haven't tried it intentionally, I just know that if we don't have all the detergents cleaned off a prepped stock before applying oil it will get a obscure matte finish. I'm guessing the soap breaks down some of the components in the oil and makes it less clear.

·
Registered
748 Posts
bharsha, Yes, Absolutely.

I would add 20% pure Tung oil and 10% Naptha to the PC Oil. I say Tung because IIRC P-C is a Tung based mixture.

I do this all time with Tru-Oil, but add pure linseed oil instead of Tung oil, because T-O is linseed based. I tend to do all of the wetsanding/filling with plain T-O, and then use the additives during the half dozen topcoats. A final rubout with oil/rottenstone, then a final topcoat with a mixture that's mostly pure oil with 10% PC and 10% naptha.

Soap is a bad idea, sorry KJ.
---------
Edit: KJoey because of how soap works, by surrounding oil molecules with it's long "tail", it is making a tiny blob of soap in the finish.

Also bharsha, you can increase the amounts of oil and thinner to suit you - the above is about what I use in my mix.
-----------
This claro stock was finished with this method (as are about 10 previous ones)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeti - thanks for the info and picture. Your stock is very nice and has just the finish I'm looking for. I got on the Chem Pak (PC oil) website and noticed they have a product intended to produce a "hunter satin" finish. I will contact them Monday and order some, then add it to the PC oil with some thinner as you suggest. Have you or anyone else had experience with Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn finish? I used it years ago but forgot about it until recently. I can't remember why I switched unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Soap is a bad idea, sorry KJ
Yeah, seemed to be a bad idea to me as well, but I figured I'd throw it out there. The stocks we've done that had a little detergent left in them were matte finished when dry. We only use acetone and denatured alcohol to prep the wood anymore, surfactants strip wax and oils quicker but are tough to get out of the wood completely sometimes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.