Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, noob here-

I've fired shotguns in the past but this is the first one I've owned, Moss 500, standard brass bead on the front. I noticed last night that hole for the threads on the bead goes all the way through the barrel wall (probably ok), but the threads ever so slightly protrude into the bore, enough that I can catch a fingernail on it if I put my finger in there (unloaded of course!)

Is this bad? Intuition is telling me that it may not be the best thing, especially if firing slugs through there.

I would think that I could file down the length of the threaded portion a hair, though, to fix this.

Opinions?

Thanks-

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sure you can.Just remember to try and screw a thin nut onto the threaded shaft first(if you can).That way,if you damage the threads,which is easy to do,you will be able to "re cut" them by spinning the nut back off.Not too many of us have thread chasers that small!A little bit of Blue Locktite,screw it back in,and you'll be ready to go.
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what was thinking too, I've got a huge pile of old bolts and nuts from microelectronics so I might have a nut that will fit.. but so is the protruding threads a problem then? I should fix this before I put rounds through it?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I had an older Ithaca 37 that was that way, until I sent it to Briley to install thin-wall choke tubes. It was shot that way for years, with birdshot and buckshot (but no slugs) with no apparent damage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ajgee said:
but so is the protruding threads a problem then? I should fix this before I put rounds through it?
Yes, absolutely, before putting another shot/slug through the weapon. At the least, it's grabbing the cup and possibly deforming some shot. Thats a good tip on using a nut to protect/chase the thread after shortning from vetteman. The correct size of thread on a Mossburg is 5/40 if it hasn't been redrilled/tapped.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The screw protruding into the barrel was common back in the days before most guns had vent ribs. The normal cure was to grind/file off the offend part till it was smooth, don't remember if the pattern was affected but probably was? :?

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
If the situation is as you describe, then I don't see how it could possibly be dangerous. I'm not saying that it's a "good" thing to have the bead protrude into the bore, but the slight amount that you indicated would present no safety risk, IMO. Having said that, I would try to file off the extra length if possible, but I wouldn't worry about it either way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.. I think I may end up getting a more visible bead anyway, so I'll verify the length in the new one - my old eyes just can't pick up that tiny brass bead very well

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
get you a sheet of fine Scotchbrite, a wooden dowel and an electric drill. Tape a strip of scothbrite to the dowel, place in drill and hone/polish it down.I have done it many times.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Banshee said:
get you a sheet of fine Scotchbrite, a wooden dowel and an electric drill. Tape a strip of scothbrite to the dowel, place in drill and hone/polish it down.I have done it many times.
I realize this thread is almost a year old but could you be more specific on the sheet of fine Scotchbrite. I'm not familiar with that product.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
it is an abrasive pad, sort of like fine sandpaper. You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart and others. Just go to the section were they have sandpaper. Get an extra fine one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.