Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
beretta silver pigeon III sporting 20/28 gauge---my front bead on my 20 gauge barrels is a little loose--should i just unscrew it and use the BLUE LOCTITE and screw it back in?
OR?
thanks a bunch

· Registered
201 Posts
Blue Loctite will keep it in there.. Just know that you'll have to apply heat to remove it, if you want in the future.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I've gone and done it! i had a product that said LOCTITE on the package but ALSO said super glue!---and the package and the plastic bottle had a lot of blue coloring on it etc. So i thought that was blue LOCTITE---WRONG---it was a clear substance--super glue! Soooo because it dried so quickly AND because i fumbled around with my arthritic fingers--i didn't get it screwed ALL THE WAY in! So now im wondering---first of all its unmovable---and i tried REAL hot water and that didn't loosen it. And im wondering if i used a soldering iron so i can concentrate the heat in one specific spot---but im afraid of melting the 2 "plastic" white pieces on the front bead etc. first of all it isn't going anywhere, like i said its unmovable--and its less than 1/16" above the rib(and the rib is metal not carbon fiber) and its perfectly straight in its positioning and i can shoot it like it is. WHAT would you do if this happened to you(and i know probably no one else would do such a thing)?
please advise and thanks in advance

· Registered
4,670 Posts
There is a solvent available that can dissolve super glue. Maybe someone will chime in on ether or not it’s a good idea to use it on your barrels.

Beads are tiny and if you have arthritis it might be best to have a gunsmith do it. I know it’s a pain in the butt to have pay to have something little done but sometimes in life we have limits.

Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
st louis area--and we have MIDWEST GUN WORKS near us--they are an authorized Beretta dealer/warranty facility. so if i shoot this gun and it breaks skeet targets--then no worries--but if not, then i will drop in on MGW and let them fix the front bead issue etc. it is a combo gun so i can use the 28 gauge barrel until such time that the 20 gauge issue is rectified! anyway i was just wondering about heating up the rib and sight post so i could loosen the sight and start this process over--SO im still interested in any feedback on that question and THANKIS in advance

· Registered
161 Posts
If nail polish doesn't work I think acetone also dissolves super glue. Just be careful with the acetone around a plastic bead as it may also have some effect on that. Maybe place it around threaded post with an eye dropper to avoid bead.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
I was wondering if it should be RED or BLUE?
NOW i have my answer and THANKS A BUNCH

222 - Purple - Low strength thread locker, designed for precision metal fasteners under 3/4". Protect threads from rust and corrosion. Removable with hand tools. Temp range - 65 to 300 degrees F. Cure Speed 20 min. Full 24 hrs.

242 - Blue - Medium strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Cures reliably even on stainless steel. Tolerant of oil and other contamination. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Parts can be disassembled with hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 15 min. Full 24 hrs.

262 - Red - Permanent strength thread locker for fasteners up to 3/4". Designed for extreme environmental/chemical conditions. Especially useful for holding tight Grade 5 and 8 fasteners. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Localized heating and hand tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 30 min. Full 24 hrs.

272 - Red - Hi-temp/hi-strength formula. Suited for temperatures up to 450 degrees F. Fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up to 1 1/2" in diameter. Heat and hand tools required for disassembly. Temp range -65 to 450 degrees F. Cure speed 60 min. Full 24 hrs.

277 - Red - High strength for locking fasteners up to 1 1/2". Prevents fasteners from loosening due to shock, heat or vibration . Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Removable with heat and hand tools. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 60 min. Full 24 hrs.

290 - Green - Medium strength thread locker for pre-assembled bolts up to 1/2". Penetrates threads by capillary action: simplifies preventive maintenance. Secures set screws and other assemblies after settings are completed. Used to seal welds and porous metal parts. Protects threads from rust and corrosion. Temp range -65 to 300 degrees F. Cure speed 10 min. Full 24 hrs.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the nail polish remover(acetone) did the trick! it wasn't easy but i figured it out and got all the super glue dissolved etc I have 2 new replacement sights ordered from MGW and i should be up and running in a day or so! A friend has BLUE LOCTITE and ill let him do the honors of installing the new one. thanks for all the help along the way

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this should be my last post on this subject--was able to use the original front sight(the one with white dots on both sides) The 2 replacement(i thought) sights that i ordered from MGW(which also have white dots on both sides) were a lot smaller than the original one so i was glad i was able to use the original one after i got the whole super glue/blue LOCTITE issue rectified! I still like to buy spare parts for the shotguns i shoot so i will try again to get a couple "replacement" sights--somewhere. i thing measuring them etc will make it easier to find the match. ANYWAY

1 - 17 of 17 Posts