Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I went out for our skeet league today where we learnded we were only the 5th and 6th shooters to show up. We're on Long Island, and today's weather was light snow and RIPPING wind, which blew on the skeet field we were on from left to right. The high house flew out like 5 times the normal speed, and the low house was like slow motion. Through all of this my buddy perservered and shot very respectably all day. I did OK, but he did better. On shot he had was on station 1 low house where the clay literally slowed to a stop and hovered for about five seconds ten feet above his head where he very comedically just plucked it. The action that they took in flight was RETARDED, ducking, climbing straight up, diving straight down. It was possibly the best time I've ever had skeet shooting. You all should try it some time.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I have, yesterday, just didn't have the snow. 40 mph winds, gusting even higher.

Coming out of the highhouse, they were traveling like a scalded dog. Flat, no rise at all, all just down.

Low house, we had some that came to a complete stop just past the center stake at a height of probably 35-40', an then would curl off an come back like a frisbee. :lol:

What was real fun was shooting the doubles on 6. Call pull, get the low house bird shooting up at probably a 45-50 degree angle, an the blamed highhouse target would hit the ground 20 ft. before the boundry marker. You could not get on the 2nd target fast enough to hit it before it hit the ground. I couldn't anyway.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
sberry said:
We're on Long Island, and today's weather was light snow and RIPPING wind, which blew on the skeet field we were on from left to right.
Which field were you on? We were on 9 and on several occasions the low house bird from 8 would catch the wind just right and curl into our low house opening!!!! Crazy day indeed! By the third round, the snow had changed to sleet and my face began to realize how the targets feel :lol:

Hope you scored well.

Frank

·
Registered
222 Posts
Frankie, We were on 8 today...

A couple of times, shooting anything from the low house resulted in a towering shot that sent clay landing back at the fence! And that driving wind/snow in your face after station 4 was a pisser.

Scores were a little lower than usual, but not too bad considering the conditions. But the fun was worth a slight hit to the scores.

Wobble skeet anyone???

·
Registered
325 Posts
weather can be a B#$%H but it can also make for some excitement as well..

I can remember living up north and shooting holes in the snow while breaking targets, was snowing hard enough that you could see the path right through the snow,,

Have fun, Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.