Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you ever have something really funny happen on a hunt?

I have had several, but probably the best was on a morning duck hunt when I was about 19. My brother, a friend, and I would hunt a little slough for ducks. The hunting area was within easy walking distance of the ferry dock. So we would board the ferry as walk-on passengers with our shotguns, decoys, and other paraphenalia (try that today) and drink coffee on the upper deck during the journey.

On one pitch dark morning we got on and went upstairs to sit out the ride. Lo, at another booth there was an ancient geezer with a shotgun, a bag of decoys, and a camo rain parka. "That's Henry T______ ", hissed our friend who was from the same village as Henry.

"What's he doing here?"

"Same thing we are."

"But there are only three one-man blinds over there."

"That's okay, there's plenty of driftwood to pile up for another one."

He went on, "Now Henry is an old time, gentleman's duck hunter. He's old, so we'll let him take any blind he wants. And we wont do some of the stuff we usually do. No shooting before the day opens (1/2 hr before sunrise), no ground sluicing, and no butterballs (buffleheads)."

It was still dark when we got off the ferry and headed out toward the slough. We gave Henry a head start so that he could pick the blind he wanted. Plenty of time left to put out the dekes and build another blind. Henry was putting his dekes out in front of his blind. We could hear birds winging overhead as we worked, but could not see them against the black sky. As we settled in, dawn began creeping up the sky, and we could begin to see shapes winging overhead. Fifteen minutes to go and we can ID a few. Suddenly KAH-BLOOOM!!
Then silence. I knew it was Henry.

We waited a few minutes and then got up and approached Henry's blind. By the time we got there he had the bird plucked and was disemboweling it. It seems a butterball had skated into his decoys fifteen minutes before the day opened and he ground sluiced it. He was one of us. :)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Hardly think any part of that story was funny.

Have you no shame?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Pumpster said:
Hardly think any part of that story was funny.

Have you no shame?
What I think is funny and very funny at that, is that apparently the first three posters, couldn't or didn't read it right!

It wasn't the kids that shot before opening time, but the "Old Gentleman Duck Hunter"!

The kids were being particularly ethical, because he was there!

You guys better read it again. It was not complicated!

Clyde

·
Registered
574 Posts
On a dove hunt many many years ago a friend of mine from high school and I are walking towards a stock tank and jumping dove as we go along. Well this dang chicken jumps up in front of us and is winging it's rear off to get out of our path. I started to say something to my buddy when *BOOM* and the chicken goes down. He walks up, grabs the bird and stuffs it into his game bag. His mom just about lost her mind when she caught him cleaning that thing but she still cooked it for us.

We never did find out where it came from but always kept a look out for more. :lol:

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
lossking said:
Jugchoke, I read the original post right; you didn't read mine right.
I don't think you still get it!

He at 19 WASN'T doing anything unethical or illegal! The point was that it was the OLD MAN!

The way you wrote it, you were comparing yourself to him, on that particular outing, at 19!

Maybe YOU didn't write it right!

Now, if you meant what the boys had been doing previously, you should have said so. But you didn't!

OK, so it is just semantics. No big deal, truce?

Clyde

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I don't pay any attention to party poopers on this thread; there are always one or two of them hiding in the bushes. As time went on all of us became better sportsmen, but at that time we just had not matured to that point, and we totally misjudged our assumed role model of the moment. :)

I'm sure others have funny stories to share, and hope the wet blanket crowd will not discourage them from joining in.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I was 10 or 11 years old and had never shot at moving targets. I was with one of my uncle's and his boys hunting rabbits with dogs. I had borrowed a single barrel shotgun for the occasion from a friend.

The first time a rabbit came by, well out in front of the dogs, my uncle told me to take the shot. From about twenty yards, I just rolled the rabbit. On over in the afternoon, another rabbit, my turn again, and I rolled this one too. Amongst all the back slapping and congratulations, I felt 10 feet tall.

A week later, I returned the gun to my friend who told me, "I forgot to tell you, this thing shoots about 3 feet to the right. I hope it didn't mess you up."

Luckily, that was just the lead I needed to hit the rabbits which were both running from my left to right. Not knowing the first thing about leading moving targets, I had held dead on and dropped both rabbits. I thought at the time, "what's the big deal, anyone ought to be able to do this" The old saying, "ignorance is bliss", held true that day.

Needless to say, I never told my uncle and cousins about the gun that didn't shoot straight.

·
Registered
574 Posts
oneeyedjack said:
I was 10 or 11 years old and had never shot at moving targets. I was with one of my uncle's and his boys hunting rabbits with dogs. I had borrowed a single barrel shotgun for the occasion from a friend.

The first time a rabbit came by, well out in front of the dogs, my uncle told me to take the shot. From about twenty yards, I just rolled the rabbit. On over in the afternoon, another rabbit, my turn again, and I rolled this one too. Amongst all the back slapping and congratulations, I felt 10 feet tall.

A week later, I returned the gun to my friend who told me, "I forgot to tell you, this thing shoots about 3 feet to the right. I hope it didn't mess you up."

Luckily, that was just the lead I needed to hit the rabbits which were both running from my left to right. Not knowing the first thing about leading moving targets, I had held dead on and dropped both rabbits. I thought at the time, "what's the big deal, anyone ought to be able to do this" The old saying, "ignorance is bliss", held true that day.

Needless to say, I never told my uncle and cousins about the gun that didn't shoot straight.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know some who was rabbit hunting and saw a small white thing in a bush. He shot at it and a 12 point buck jumped out of the bush.

From what I understand is that he always kept a slug in the other barrel just incase he saw a deer. He ended up getting the deer and evertime I see it on his wall he goes on telling his story.

He is around 40 years older than me.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
grimakis said:
I know some who was rabbit hunting and saw a small white thing in a bush. He shot at it and a 12 point buck jumped out of the bush.

From what I understand is that he always kept a slug in the other barrel just incase he saw a deer. He ended up getting the deer and evertime I see it on his wall he goes on telling his story.

He is around 40 years older than me.
Positive target identification? {F*

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My Dad and I were invited on a quail hunt. We drove around while the dogs did the work. When they'd spot a covey, we'd get out of the truck and load up and walk up the covey. We took turns as to who was to actually flush the birds.

In the late afternoon, it came around to my Dad's turn again. The dog's went on point and we all loaded up. Dad walked to where the dogs had the birds but nothing flew. He kicked around and around looking for the birds, but still nothing. Finally, our host told us to come on, that the birds must have run off or something.

Dad removed his unloaded his gun and removed his game belt before heading to the truck.

He took two steps when about a dozen quail started coming up all around him.

Dad started High-stepping and going "OOoooh, OooooH OOOOH they're coming out my A$$, they're coming out my A$$!"

We all laughed so hard, no one got a shot and nobody had the foggiest idea where the covey went.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I will still pop a dove off of a powerline if I'm one short of a meal, and I'm not above shooting fool hens while still on the leg.

BT

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One bluebird day in November my brother and the same friend and I were hunting the mouth of a local river. We had set out dekes on a small pond along the edge of the shore. We had three blinds fairly close together in a row. They were such that we could see each other, but we were screened from ducks approaching from the prevailing directions.

There was no wind and few clouds. Nothing was moving. We had heard no shots from the gun club across the river and we had not shot after about two hours. Nature does call occasionally, so I went to a corner of the blind where I could aim through the sticks, and proceeded to drain the bilges. Barely started, I see a teal approaching from my side of the row. Pinching off, I grab the shotgun, throw it up and nail that bird about 15 yards beyond the decoys. Setting the shotgun against the back of the blind, I finished the uncompleted task.

I never could understand why the other guys were laughing so hard. We came to hunt ducks, didn't we.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.