Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember goin' huntin' with a uncle on a beautiful crisp, fall day in Georgia. I was about 11 years old at the time. We would make our way from granny's house heading north going from squirrel nest to nest at every opportunity. We worked as a team. If there was a nest in the tree and it was small enough to shake, one of us would shake the tree to see if there was any movement in the nest and the other would pull the trigger.
On one of the last nest's before we got back to the house, we noticed it was rather large and I hoped it would have a whole mess of them at home. So my uncle told me to get situated and get ready to fire if there was movement in the nest. He shook the tree, and there was quite a bit of movement, so I fired up in the nest with my .410. I hit it alright. It wasn't a squirrel but an old '**** ( it was the biggest I had seen...)and it was sick. When the shell struck it, it had shiat, right on my uncle from 20-30 feet above. It was GREEN and a large quantity fell and it had the most ungodly smell. It got on his hat and coat, he was puking and Sam (the beagle) didn't want any part of it, he ran back home. I couldn't help but laugh and laugh. My uncle tried to make me carry the ****, but no thanks.... he never buried the **** because some neighbors down the road wanted it for supper. Thats another thing that I couldn't believe... they were aware of the ****'s sickness..... ewwwww !...
He got me back with the flying squirrel incident...but thats another story.

G

·
I was bow hunting in a set of woods and set up in a tree right next to the creek. It being October in Mississippi I was more worried about mosquitos than snakes, I put on a little mosquito dope because the insects were unbearable. The sun sets and I've had no luck. I climb down and realize that I have to move my arrows before taking my climbing stand off of the tree ( I had lowered them down on a rope before getting down). It's dark and I can't even see my arrows so I bend down and reach my hand out in front of me...and I remember that I'm only 3 feet away from the creek and ole mr. cottonmouth is everywhere. Well as soon as that thought hits me I hear a long loud hisssssssssss. I about died, I stopped, my heart stopped...and then......I realized the sound was from my aerosol bug spray in the cargo pocket of my cammies. When I bent down it pushed on the button and set the can off. It took a good five minutes for my adrenaline to get back to normal levels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one about the flying squirrel I mentioned earlier happens about the same age of around 11. I had read a book on flying squirrels and I was intrigued with them. I had never seen one.
I was out squirrel hunting with that same uncle. I saw a squirrel that was on the side of a large pine, and he kept scurrying around it to get away from me. Well, my uncle got on one side of the tree (at an angle) and I another. The squirrel just decided to jump for it, and when it did, it glided straight for me. I froze, the scene was so slow that it was quick. The flying squirrel landed on my chest and I was screaming bloody murder, I thought I was done for good. I uncle saw me panic and started running through the woods to get clear of me and a loaded gun. I shot off the .410 just to try to scare the squirrel off me. Sam (the beagle) was hauling butt 'cause it scared him. Needless to say that was the end of the hunt for the weekend... My uncle still rubs it in everytime I see him. :shock:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
About 3 years ago I took my son dove hunting for the first time. He was brand new to hunting and this was his first experience. The dove kept coming and coming. Everyone was doing well except my son. He was having a good time but had gone through a box and a half of shells without getting one. We just kept encouraging him and assuring him he would start hitting.

Just then I yelled look out behind you. A dove was zipping in from behind us right over him. My son swung up and nailed his first dove. He threw both hands up in exhilaration as the dove folded up and started down. What a beautiful shot!!

The dove sailed well over our heads and landed on a road ahead of us where it was immediately squashed into mush by a big truck. There were 6 of us rolling in the field laughing as my son slumped in disbelief.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Last year during our shotgun deer season, I was hunting with my pal, Al. It was in the afternoon and he was hunting in his ladder stand around 200 yards away from me, back in the bush. I was around 15 feet up in my portable tree stand, a Summit Viper, overlooking a sorghum field. From my stand I could see the road and Al's truck up on the hill around 300 yards away. We had agreed to meet back at the truck around 5:00PM. It was very cold and there was around a foot of snow on the ground so I was wearing heavy clothing and Sorrel boots. It was a good afternoon as I had deer all around me, but no bucks. Does were every where. Around 4:30 a small herd of around 9 does comes by my stand and heads out to the field.

For some reason I look up at Al's truck and there he is. There is still a good half hour of shooting light and he is in the truck. No shots were fired so I couldn't figure this out. I'm looking at him through the binoculars and he's sitting there with the interior light on. I figure screw it, I'm hunting. I watch these does feed until 5:00 and break camp. I unload my shotgun and lower it to the ground. I set up in the seat climber and start climbing down. I get around half way down the tree when the platform part of the stand slipped from my feet and fell to the ground! I usually tie the seat climber to the platform but in my haste to get up the tree I forgot. I look out in the field and the does are watching me.

I'm thinking crap, now what do I do? I start whislting for Al. I can whistle very loud and I'm letting it rip. I can see that rat sitting in the truck, steam coming from the exhaust. I'm yelling and whistling. That only made me get out of breath. Now I'm thinking maybe I can pull the stand up with my shotgun. No deal. All I did was scratch the gun up. Well, only one thing to do now. Maybe I can get my feet over the sides and just lower myself by hand. Nope, I can't get those big a$$ed boots over the sides without falling over backwards. I have to jump down through the middle but the platform is in the way. Now I have to add more scratches to the shotgun. I used the gun to hook the stand and move it to the side. I take off my coat and lower myself as far as I could and jumped to the ground.

I mean it was only around a 7 foot jump but it scared me silly. I'm only around 5'6" barefoot. After the shaking stopped I gather up my stuff and start heading up the hill. I get half way there and check for my wallet. Gone! I go back to the tree and find the wallet at the base. Now it's pitch dark. I get up the hill and Al jumps out of the truck and says, "where the hell were you?". I nearly added one more scratch to my shotgun, but I refrained from hitting him over the head with it!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think cordite first story has a real message: Know your target before you shoot! Movement is not a target! Good thing it wasn't an Eagle or some other protected animal. You could go to jail for that! I don't know the laws everywhere but this is one of the reasons it is against the law to take a squirrle from the nest here in WI.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It was a cold crisp fall morning as I pulled off the dirt road to begin the long walk back to where I had seen that large flock of turkeys a few weeks earlier. I was pretty sure they were roosting in the area and decided that if I could get back in well before the sun came up I may be able to get on them as they came down from their roosts. About a mile down the trail I picked out what I considered a good vantage point to see and possibly get a shot off without being seen. I placed myself in a "V" formed by a large standing Ponderosa pine and a downed quakey. I made myself comfortable and began the long wait for the sun to rise.

It seemd to get colder as sunrise neared. Even though I was well dressed, I was having trouble controlling my shivering. Finally, the sun began to rise and the colors of the thickly wooded forest began to shift from blacks and greys to the greens, reds, browns, and oranges of the Arizona high country in Autumn.

I pulled a camo balacava down over my face. The forest was begining to awaken, I could here squirrels chattering in the area around me. I Listened very carefully to see if could could distinguish the locating cluck the turkeys use to get the flock together first thing after they leave the roost. When you listen that intently, it is amazing how noisey the forest actually is, there is no "peace and quiet", just a different kind of noise.

Straining to catch that hint of a sound that may lead me to a successful hunt, I was suprised when the noise of claws on bark sounded directly above my head. A large squirrel had risen and had begun his days work of gathering the Fall harvest in preperation for the long cold winter. He made his way down the same tree I was propped up against, I didn't move. At the same time a series of clucks could be heard moving in my direction. It appears I had made a good choice in a hiding spot. However, appearences can be deceiving.

That damn squirrel above me, moved down the tree, across my shoulder and sat on my lap. It seemed like 5 minutes, but I'm sure it was much less. I was terrified, this squirrel was friggen huge! It must have gotten a clue that something wasn't right, because this squirrel went balistic and ran right up the front of me and across my face, over the top of my head and high into the tree above me. His claws left scatches on my cheeks and nose through the balacava. It took me about 30 minutes to calm down afterwards.

I did not get my turkey that hunt, so I took up squirrel hunting when it opened later that season.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The attack by the squirrel is funny, Sorry but it is and the reason is it happens on our property to one of us at least once a year.

I bow hunt a ton and love it in the tree well before sun up and out well after dark. That means all sorts of critters are near me. When I was a kid it was cool to see how close birds would get if you were still (chikadees like to land on my arrows and hat brims) the squirrels always sensed you were looking and would bolt. I had an owl attack me 3 times in the same nite. It was 40 minutes before dark and I am watch over a bean field, having a great time watching a owl hunt. Well Im in all camo except my face (its a real warm October no need for the heavy face mask) this owl picks a glint off my glasses (i think if not he is a killer owl) and make a pass by the tree at about 10-12 feet. Since Im a curios kid at this time I stay as still as possible to watch the owl. It makes a big sweeping turn and heads straight at me talons out coming at my face, I was able to get my hands up and he bounced off me and took off. Im 14 and rattled pretty bad but my uncle always kept saying there is nothing in our woods that can hurt you so stay put untill I come get you. Ok Im a tad scared/ miffed that a bird tried to attack me but it almost dark and the deer should be moving. Well 10 minutes or so later, I sense, Not hear movement (you never hear a owl fly unless then just bounced off you) and low and behold here is this damn owl again this time from the side he nicks my hat knocking it off to the ground. He proceeded to pounce on the hat, but after it did not react (IE not moving he flew off again) Now Im ready to get down, but Im supposed to stay put. SO I sit. Now at almost total darkness I barley make out a shaoe 6-8 feet infront of me and I throw my bow up top cover my face and WHACK I samck this damn owl right out of the air, like a baseball. He lets out the most god awful screech and tumbles away from my perch and disappers in to the darkness. Screw this Im outta the tree now I climb down and retrive my hat (that has tiny holes in it from his claws) and sit at the base of the tree with every flashlight i have with me on waiting for my uncle. He shows up maybe 10 minutes later all bewildered about why heis nephew is sitting at the base of his treestand with 3 flashlights on and scanning the tree tops. After I explained the story he laughed his but off and filled me in on why that owl kept after me. It must have been due to the lighter color of my face on the black forest background and he thought I was food.

Damn owls

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 1 more. This is about the dumbest squirrel I've ever seen.

I was bow hunting in a grove of oaks one October afternoon. The acorns were dropping and there was plenty of deer sign. It seemed like a good spot so I climbed around 15 feet up a tree that offered a good shot at a trail. After a short while the squirrels came out in numbers. It was like a well run work crew. The squirrels would climb out on limbs to check out the clusters of acorns. They would then gnaw on the limbs until the clusters dropped to the ground. They would then climb down and begin to pick of the acorns and carry them off.

There was a limb about 10 feet away from me just above eye level loaded with acorns. This squirrel climbed out on the limb and gives the acorns a sniff. He turns around and begins gnawing on the limb! He's facing the tree as he's gnawing! All of a sudden I hear a small snap and the squirrel drops right to the ground with the cluster with an audible thud. He starts chattering and running around in circles. Then he climbs right back up the limb and sits there accross from me chattering away for a good 10 minutes. I nearly hyperventilated trying not to laugh out loud.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm guessing around 70 degrees
That is a common misconception about Arizona. There are areas in Arizona that reach 11,000 ft above see lvl .... maybe a bit higher. I was hunting in the White Mountains of Arizona they are are around 8-9,000 feet in elevation.

One year I had a deer hunt in mid October, the morning of the hunt was cool and clear .... by noon it had dumped 2 feet of snow on me.

Why does it always snow on opening day?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just remembered this story ....

Two dove seaosn ago I was hunting outside a small farming community west of Phoenix. It was later in the season and the dove had all adjust thier flight paths over some very densely treed areas. The trees were so thick that you could barely walk through it. No way you were gonna get a shot off in there. but there was an old road and dry irrigation ditch that divided these trees. It was still very difficult to get a shot, you had to be very alert and extremely quick. The opening created by this road was about 20-25 yards wide. I had taken several birds there when I saw some movement across the little irrigation ditch. It was a coyote, he was wandering around in the thicket and then he saw me and disappeared back into the trees. About 10 minutes later I dropped a dove and it landed in the same general area where I saw the coyote. Before I could retrieve my bird that damn coyote ran out and stole it from me.

I was so pissed because it was such a difficult hunt. However, after I calmed down I figured I would get alot of laughs telling this story and that one little dove breast was a small price to pay.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Last spring I had a father that brought his son up for his first goose hunt. We setup the decoys early and I could tell this 14 year old was really pumped for this goose hunt. The first group of snows came in while his father was taking a vehicle back to the road and I told him I would say Take Em and they would be right above him and all he had to do was pick one out. They came, he rolled, he saw and never fired a shot.

His father returned and ask what all the shooting was and showed him the 7 snows I took out of the first flock and his eyes got big and he asked did you get one JD. He said nope, I was so amazed I never even fired a shot. An hour or so passed and there were geese everywhere around us at 500 to 1000 feet up. One nice group of can can's kept dropping down to about 100 and checking out the spread. I figured what the heck and started working them and they set there wings north of us and headed for the spread. DJ's dad was about 10 feet from him and told DJ not to move they were going to come right over his head. I told them both not to shoot they were all can can's. There were about 75 of them and they came over us at about 8 feet, when out of no where DJ's dad stood up and started yelling. These geese were right above DJ when he did this and judging by DJ's cloths not one of them held it back. He was covered from head to foot with goose poop. DJ's dad was laughing so hard I thought he was going to pass out and finally he said you know my father did that too me on my first goose hunt and now I have passed on the tradition.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You got to love tradition ... that's some funny stuff.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.