Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local dealer still has a few Gamma 2 sport and field O/U shotguns for sale (as if I really need another shotgun). I am tempted to go for the sporting 30", but am not sure of the quality. I have searched the threads and web to find the importer SigArms no longer brings them in and Tristar might pick them up. My concern is in the quality and ability to get warranty service. Real owners give some feedback...

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, I can not tell you anything good about the service. Neither of my two Fabarm Shotguns have broken. My Sporting Clays O/U has almost 10,000 trouble free rounds through it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I looked at 2 of these up close, the wood and metal fit/finish look first rate. Their website shows only aTriwood finish, but these appear to have real wood with an oil finish. They come with 8 extended chokes, wrench, hardcase, but no paperwork (just an inspection card). I have heard of a Guerini connection and these seem similar in some areas. I guess it would be great to get a shotgun of Guerini quality for $1000.
My go to gun for clays is my Beretta 682, but I thought this might be a nice backup. Of course I have 6 sporting guns that are already backups.

TJ

·
Registered
515 Posts
I can't tell you anything about reliability, since I have only patterned my Gamma 2 Sporting 32. I can tell you that the patterns are very nicely uniform and that both barrels shoot to the same point of aim at 35 yards.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My buddy shoots a Gamma 32" sporting, that thing is long! He absolutly blasts clays with it, nothing but powder on many of the shots, impressive gun to say the least.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and bought one of the 30" Gamma2 sportings. Well if I hate it look for it on the sale page in a month or so.
I did call Sig today,WHAT JERKS! I was told they have no parts or guns to repair any Fabarm. The woman I spoke with said they only imported them for about 6 months and really don't think they should be responsible for any warranty issue. She then gave me the phone # for Tristar and said they were the new importer (call ended/go away). My next call was to Tristar and was told they woud have the full line after the Shot show. The guy who answered the phone said he has had several calls about potential warranty issues, but they would not extend any support for Sig imported guns. I think there might be a law or two that would conflict with Sigs stand,
I am not going to stress over a potential problem. In the past 40+years of gun ownership I have only had 8 warranty covered problems (that I can remember), 2 Ruger, 2 Remington, 2 Beretta, 1 Benelli and 1 Browning. Of those 8 problems I fixed the problem 5 out of 8 times. It is easier to fix a small problem than to pack it up and ship it back. The easiest to deal with are Remington and Beretta, tell them the problem and they will ship you the part. On the other hand Ruger, Browning and Benelli demand you ship the gun.

TJ

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm with you I thought the law was the importer had to provide the warranty, why else would their name be on the barrel? I had the same conversation with Sig, they are washing their hands of these. I wonder if challenged on this what they would do? If the gun ever fails it could be a difficult process to have it repaired, a real risky move buying one but they are nice guns for a very reasonable price. By the way where did you find the Fabarm for sale? I have a friend looking for a 30" sporting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it at our local chain Turners Outdoorsman. They only had a couple and you are the 11th guy to ask. So there must be some demand. One local guy sent me a pm and said he was going over on Sunday to buy two. Other than the one I bought I saw only one STL VS SPORTING 32" and it was $1369. It looked the same except with nicer engraving.

TJ

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting....Like I said they make what appears to be a very good gun, and if you can get a quality Italian gun for $1,000 or even less, why not buy it. I have yet to hear of anyone complaining of a failure on a Fabarm O/U. I called Turners about a month ago looking to see if they had any more Fabarm guns and I was told they were all sold out.....guess that was not true. Word has it they bought out the entire inventory from Sigarms back in August and they were selling them for $899. A friend of mine got an HK version GAmma 2 about 3 years ago for $1,200.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, but I got a great deal on a Sigarm Fabarm STL VS Sporting. I have had it for about a year and a half and have shot about 3500 rounds. I have not had a single problem with the gun. Luckily O/U's are fairly simple by design, and this is what also makes them very reliable. Most Italian O/U's are very similar in design, so any good gunsmiths should be able to repair it.

I have heard from several sources that the Caesar Guerini use many of the Fabarm parts, so they might be able to repair them, but it would not be under warranty. I have never had the need to explore this possible option though.

The Shooting Edge in Canada might be another source to sell you the parts you might need for any repairs.

http://www.theshootingedge.com

James' e-mail is : [email protected]

EMaki

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Emaki,
What were they going for when you got yours? The $1369 they are closing them out at seems high. I am tempted as it is a really nice looking shotgun. My problem is I keep buying sporting guns I like and shoot well. No safe queens, I have fun taking a different one out each time. I keep telling my wife they are like collecting art, art that goes bang.

TJ

·
Registered
937 Posts
That is a great price, since the original list price that Sigarms had them for if I remember correctly was $2495, and EUROCHASSE currently have two on Gunsamerica for $2,295.00. I paid $1618 plus shipping, and if I had the extra money I would buy another. Mine came with 8 extended chokes and a hard case. The wood is very good Turkish walnut not the Triwood.

It will be interesting to see what price Tristar will be selling them for. I would guess they will be close to what Eurochasse has them for, and I am guess they will come with the Triwood.

Could you PM me with the store name, address, and phone number?

Thanks,

EMaki

·
Registered
325 Posts
Be careful when looking at the Fabarms. Emaki has done well with his STL as the early STL's definitely did have Triwood.

Although there are some design similarities, Caesar Guerini have changed some parts from aluminium as used in Fabarms, to steel. This provides better durability and relieves a known issue in the forend.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Of the 5 I have seen all were Sigarms and all had oiled walnut. The Gamma2 sporting I just bought appears to be all steel in the forearm and block. The date code on the one I have is 2004 (BU) and the STL I am thinking of buying is 2005 (BZ). The only thing that is slowing me from buying is the $440 higher price ($1359.). I compared them both side by side and the only difference I see is a little better wood and the better engraving on the STL.
I did shoot with a guy last week who has an earlier STL with triwood and it looks real (almost). He said he had in excess of 20,000 rds fired.

TJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts