Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read some articles on the shotguns and rifles that George Hoenig built but until today I had never seen one in person. There was one at a local gun auction today and I was able to hold one of them and see the incredible workmanship that went into one of his guns. The round action is certainly unique and locks up very smoothly. The best thing about it is next Wednesday afternoon I will actually get to shoot this very gun. I was with a friend of mine at the auction and when it was all said and done he was the new owner. Way out of my price range but at least I will be able to say I shot one. This picture is not the one he bought but if you haven't seen one this is what they look like. His is number 53 out of the 78 or so guns Hoenig built before he retired a few years ago
Liquid Fluid Bottle Wood Drinkware

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
They are unique and incredibly well made from what I have seen in several reviews. That will be a very unique experience and well worth documenting. I bet it handles beautifully! Lucky you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had read some articles on the shotguns and rifles that George Hoenig built but until today I had never seen one in person. There was one at a local gun auction today and I was able to hold one of them and see the incredible workmanship that went into one of his guns. The round action is certainly unique and locks up very smoothly. The best thing about it is next Wednesday afternoon I will actually get to shoot this very gun. I was with a friend of mine at the auction and when it was all said and done he was the new owner. Way out of my price range but at least I will be able to say I shot one. This picture is not the one he bought but if you haven't seen one this is what they look like. His is number 53 out of the 78 or so guns Hoenig built before he retired a few years ago
View attachment 35901
Please post about your experience shooting it. I am curious about the balance and handling. Cool gun.

·
Registered
24,585 Posts
Is that a 12? I saw a 28 come up for sale a few years ago for a paltry $23K...........I have always thought those to be one of the greatest designs in gun making - simple and extremely strong

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that a 12? I saw a 28 come up for sale a few years ago for a paltry $23K...........I have always thought those to be one of the greatest designs in gun making - simple and extremely strong
From what I can find he only built the shotguns in 28 and 20 gauge. The one my friend bought yesterday is a 20. It will be interesting to get to shoot it later this week.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
This design is the epitome of "thinking outside the box"! Extraordinary in every way.

For those well heeled enough to buy one, Champlin Arms has this one for sale on GI. Actually, the price does not look outrageous to me at all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts