Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an a newbie, so I wanted to say hi to everyone here first!!

After shooting my Dad's shotgun, and showing an interst in shotgun shooting, my Dad bought me a used single shot Sears "Ted Williams" 20ga single shot shotgun. I wanted to try trap shooting so I took it the range and shot two rounds, but near the end of the second round the foreend became loose. I tried to tighten it down, but was unsuccsessful. So my Dad had me take it back to the shop he bought it at and they said the wood was split and the repairs would cost more than the gun was worth, and told me to pick out another gun. Now not knowing much about shotguns, the gentleman at the store showed me a used Winchester 1200 20ga pump, it was a little more expensive than the first one, so I paid the difference and went on my way, I was so excited I bought two chokes for it. This past Sunday a friend and I went back out to the trap range, and after the first shot, the gun jammed, it would not eject the shell, I had to take off the barrel to get the shell out. Tried it again and it jammed. I was very dissapointed and finished out the day with my buddy's Rem 1100 12ga. So I took the Winchester back and they gave me my money back. So now I am looking at buying a "NEW" gun. I want a 20ga single shot and 12ga pump. I am looking at the Rem 870 Left Hand pump for a 12ga. But for the single shot I dont want to spend alot, I am only looking to spend around $100, I am looking at Rossi 20ga Single Shot Full Choke for $100 and a Stoeger Classic/Hunter 20ga Single Shot With screw-in chokes for $115. Not knowing anything about either brand, I was wondering what kind of input others might have about these manufacturers, and any other suggestions for a decent single shot 20ga for around $100. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I'm all about having more guns but what's up with wanting the 20ga single? Nothin' wrong with it, just curious as to what you are planning on using them for and this might help someone tell you pros and cons for your choices.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah, I see. Sort of. Well first, you won't go wrong with the Remmy 870. There are other entry-level shotguns out there, but the 870's generally acknowledged to be about as good as they come. Not perfect, of course, but as good as they come.

I think that what Rick was getting at is that anything you can do with a 20 ga single shot, you can do with a 12 ga 870 just as well or better. I've never shot a single round of trap, but can't you use the 870 for that as well?

These days, unless you go to a very expensive single-pupose trap gun, there's a real shortage of quality single-shots. The ones you mention, along with Harrington and Richardson, are likely to be as good as they come, which isn't saying much. If I were you, I'd wait for my son to grow up a bit, save my $$, and buy him a good used double or an older, better quality single shot. For the single, some of the Stevens guns and the Winnie Model 37 spring to mind. In a few years, you'll have more gun knowledge and will know what to look for, thus making a used buy a more comfortable experience.

Welcome to the forum, by the way--I hope you'll stop back and let us know how it came out :) Also, I hope you'll take a moment to register and then hang out and become part of this huge conversation we're having. You can learn alot, and you can help others too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My advise, for it's worth...
bag the single shot 20 gauge for trap...the 12 gauge rules the trap range. If you get an 870 12 gauge, very likely you will never shoot the single shot 20. It's lighter but it will kick as hard or harder that an 870 12 ga.
Go to the local gun store, buy the 870 12 gauge and you will be very happy with it.
Don't get discouraged...were all here to help. The most common question on this board is " I'm a newbie....what kind of shot gun do you think I should get...?"
The answer, inevitably, is the Remington 870 12 gauge.

·
Registered
383 Posts
$100 should not buy you much of a gun, unless you are very lucky. For shooting practise you will probably end up shooting more shells in a month than the gun was designed to take in its lifetime.

Either save around $300 and buy a decent gun, or use the ranges guns untill you have enough money.

safety first, I would not feel safe firing a gun I bought for $100, in a range.

Welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Things could be worse! At least you are dealing with a shop that tries to make things right for you - not like some of the horror stories we hear.

You can't go wrong with the Remington 870, if that is what you like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I found an Ithaca M-66 20ga Single Shot for $100 (it will be just for having some fun with), and I am happy with it. I really like the older looking single shot's and this one is great! Now I just need to decide on the 12ga, I spoke to my Dad today and he said he was giving me $400 to buy a shotgun with. I found a new Remington 870 Express for $239.99 at Oshman's, they also have the Rem 1187 semi for $589. Also I went to a different gun shop here in town and the guy said the Rem 870's are good, but he wanted to sell me a new Tristar CD Diana 12ga semi for $400. I am not familiar with the manufacturer, so I wanted to ask you all what you think? I really like the Rem 1187, but it is a little more than I want to spend. I mainly want a shotgun for going to the Trap and Skeet range 3 or 4 times a month (maybe I will do some hunting down the road). Will the Rem 870 pump work for trap and skeet or is it better to go with a semi like the Rem 1187? Also I do not want to buy a 12ga used. Please help and thanks for your patience with this newb!!

Also the Rem 1187 and Tristar felt like they fit just a little better than the Rem 870, how important is the fit?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stick with the Remington!
870, 1100, 1187 it doesn't matter, they are all great guns. If anything breaks or you can't put it back together after taking it apart, whatever...you can always find parts or somebody to fix 'em.
Where in the heck do you go if you break a firing pin on a Tristar?
Buy the Remington.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is my 2 cents worth.

don't take it the wrong way but a $100 20 ga single shot is worthless for just about everything. If you haven't already purchased it, don't. If you have, best of luck to you.

if you are looking to buy a gun to use for trap there is nothing wrong with an 870. get the longest barrell you can find and an interchangeable choke.

You also mentioned skeet. while a pump is fine for trap, unless you can pump at the speed of light i would recomend an auto for skeet. this will also let you shoot some of the other games like doubles trap, sporting clays, or five stand. you will do much better with the auto in any 2 shot game. i would recomend staying away from the off breeds, stick with a good name brand. you can also find great deals on used guns at your local trap/skeet range that you might not be able to afford new, and most guys will let you try the gun before you buy it.

last thing i have to say is no matter what gun you decide to buy find a competent gun fitter and spend the money to have the gun fit to you. you will never shoot well unless the gun fits properly. you will shoot better with a less expensive gun that fits correctly than an expensive gun that does not fit. Another good investment for a shooter of any skill level is a lesson from a competent instructor, nothing will get you breaking more birds faster.

hope that helps...good shooting

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd say stick with Remington. The 1100's a fine choice for a beginner if you need / want an autoloader. Also, Remington has local warranty repair centers, so that if something does go wrong, you'll have your gun back as quickly as possible.

It's a good idea to check for fit, but the problem is that most people--even some quite experienced people--don't know how to do it. Going to a gunfitter can become a very expensive proposition (at least expensive from my point of view). I'd reccomend that you take a look at Rollin Oswald's sticky at the top of the new shotgunner's forum, and the consider visiting his web pages. It's a good way to start thinking about fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.