Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting my first gun, because my parents are anti gun but I'm 18 and the law says I can buy one now. I want to get a shotgun first. I first was looking at the 870 express. I also was looking at the Mossberg 835 Ultimag because of its 3.5 in shell capabilities. They are both 219 up at academy and i have shouldered both guns and the mossberg felt a little bit better. I can also get the 870 super mag for 264, but I don't know if i want to spend the extra money, unless its worth it. If I go with the 870 express, am I gonna be kicking myself in the @$$ because it won't shoot 3.5's. Will the 835 last me a while, because i heard they get jammed. I'm going to go boar hunting sometime this fall do you think a shotgun will do the job?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions on the subject (there's a thread on 3 vs 3-1/2). I'm one of the guys who doesn't see a need for the 3-1/2's... I don't even use 3" for anything except geese.

Either the Mossberg or the Remington is a good entry level gun - both have smoothbore slug barrels and rifled sabot barrels available. Either slugs or sabots would be fine for boar hunting; my preference would be sabots.

If this is your first gun, I'd strongly suggest a firearms safety course if you haven't already taken one, and an advanced hunter course, as well. Also, join a gun club where you can shoot trap or skeet. You'll find people there willing to help you learn to hit what you're shooting at - it isn't as easy as it looks. You should also take the gun to a rifle range to zero your slug barrel.

Above all, remember to be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you need a rifled barrel for sabot and a smoothbore for other types. So you can't shoot any slugs out of the 28 in barrel they give you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You can shoot slugs out of the 28" barrel the rifled barrel is simply the best tool for the job since it was designed to do that specifically.Ditto on the safety course!! Good Luck !
Mike

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You can shoot rifled slugs out of the 28" vent-rib barrel without a problem. The more open the choke, the better it will perform - a Skeet or IC choke would be the best.

The only thing you're giving up is a decent set of sights - barrels with just a bead are really intended for "pointing" rather than "aiming". With a little practice, you should get reasonably proficient out to about 50 yards with a vent rib and a bead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A good pump will be a great choice for a first gun. The two you mentioned or a benelli nova would be my choice. Bear in mind the 870 with a 3 1/2 chamber is pretty easy to find as well. As far as chamber size, I rarely use 3 1/2 shells. I think you can get by without it. Put it at the lower part of your list of considerations. However, the difference in cost is really not that much for the 870 or the mossberg line, and the benelli is 3 1/2 only.
Now for hogs, I would not neglect 3 in 00 buck with a full choke either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:wink: hi coob5,if you want a GOOD shotgun for the money go with the remington 870 super mag . it shoot all 3 shells ,2 3/4 3, 3 1/2 . if you have a bass pro shop near you or major store or even wally world you can usally get one for around $300. if you are not that fimarliar with rem chokes , most of the guns come with mod. choke tube and you can buy the ones you want ic,full,extra full , turkey . i hope this helps you and good luck in your hunting, errol

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well my friend, it's partly an opinion board, so here's my opinion, for what it's worth (maybe not much, and others on here may tell me so! I won't be offended). 1)take a firearms safety course as other posters have suggested. 2) sit down with your mom and dad and have a heart to heart. Don't fight them, convince 'em gently. Talk about this as something you want to try, and tell them you'd rather do so with their support and at least qualified approval. Stress safety, sportsmanship, hunting ethics, tradition, and the joy of days afield. If they still disapprove, you can always go ahead on your own. But try it the good way first--it won't hurt, might help. Perhaps you can convince a couple of anti-gunners that they can re-consider. You're family after all, they love you and will at least listen if you approach them correctly. 3) You really really don't need 3 1/2 inch magnums. If you want to shoot geese or something get hevi-shot and use a full choke. If you can't stop a boar with a 2 3/4 in. 12-ga rifled slug, you need to practice some more. Believe me, an angry, snorting boar concentrates the mind wonderfully. I've killed several with 2 3/4 in 20 ga slugs--and I am NOT a great shot--distinctly mediocre. You can do better than me, I'm sure. Just listen to your guide, chill out, and shoot calmly.

Good luck! You're at a watershed, trying something new. Hunting is a beautiful adventure and lasts a lifetime. It teaches us many lessons--sounds like it's already starting to teach you. You'll grow to love your first shotgun--I still have mine, a lowly Stevens break action single-shot .410 with no serial number. Every so often I get it out, kill a bunny or two, and make stew. Good stew, too--I'm a better cook than I am a shot! Want a final obnoxious opinion? Get a shotgun with a wooden stock, even if it's an 870 Express . It's hard to love a chunk of plastic:) (Boy, I'll catch it for that one!)

All the best,

Brushhunter

·
Registered
261 Posts
:) You have got some good advice from the guys here. Just make sure it feels good, has good balance and you like it. What feels good to you may feel terrible to me. You are the one that has to like it. You might try to get you parents to take the hunter safety course with you. I took my two boys when they were young and I enjoyed it. It may not change their minds but it will give them an insight to what hunters are all about. Safety first!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That's a GREAT idea Bbstacker! Well, two great ideas that I neglected to mention: first, fit on a shotgun is more important than anything else in some ways, and second, taking the parents to the gun course is a wonderful way to get them to at least consider the other side of the question.

G

·
A first shotgun depends on what you would be hunting with it. I think a singleshot like a New England Firearms would suit you just fine. First of all you can get one gun then get different barrels for it. The gun its self is about 90 bucks , but dont let the price fool you, for a single shot, they are the best gun in the world. You can get any ***** of shotgun barrel and just about any rifle barrel for them. The barrels are only about 45 bucks each. I hope my information is helpful for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thank all of yall for the advice, I am going to research some more about the two guns and then decide. I'm leaning to the 870 express, but I can get the ultimag for the same price. I've just seen many threads about the ultimags jaming 3.5's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you get the 870 Super Mag be prepared to spend $40 for swivel studs and a sling as well as whatever the gunsmith will charge to mount the swivel stud ( I paid $15).

G

·
On the mossberg site it says not to shoot slugs out of the 835 barrel it says the barrel is overbored and the slug will woble, is this true or is it talking about with mod choke and not an IC one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own the Moss. 835,the rem. 870 3" express and the Super Magnum.The Mossberg is an all around good gun,haven't had any problems with 3 1/2" shells jamming.Shoots Federal Premium loads just great.Barrel is backbored and helps it pattern well.Have heard that backbore is a problem with slugs.I also own the 3" magnum express and 3 1/2" Super Magnum .Both are excellent shooters,I prefer the Super magnum because with 2 3/4" and 3" loads,the added length of chamber acts like an extended forcing cone and helps the shot settle in a little tighter.I shoot alot of 00 buckshot and am putting 15 of 18 pellets in a 22"x28" card at 60 yards with the Super Magnum.Haven't got that close with the Mossberg or 3" Express.I do like my Remingtons,with repeated use,the actions seem to stay tighter and don't have much play in the forearm and slide.But,to each his own.All three are excellent choices.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Coob--

Tell us, how did it all come out? Did you buy the 120mm anti-aircraft gun, err I mean ulti-mag? (A mere joke--if you got it and like it, more power to you! ) If so, do you expect to shoot the 3.5" shells? Perhaps they will indeed make your early days easier. Were you able to work something out with the parental units, perhaps using BB's wise advice?

Check back in when you have the chance:) We work pretty hard on these forums and like to find out the ending of the story!

Jeff23

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I heartily agree with clayshooter, for what its worth.

Jeff23

1 - 18 of 18 Posts