Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,010 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions on the subject (there's a thread on 3 vs 3-1/2). I'm one of the guys who doesn't see a need for the 3-1/2's... I don't even use 3" for anything except geese.

Either the Mossberg or the Remington is a good entry level gun - both have smoothbore slug barrels and rifled sabot barrels available. Either slugs or sabots would be fine for boar hunting; my preference would be sabots.

If this is your first gun, I'd strongly suggest a firearms safety course if you haven't already taken one, and an advanced hunter course, as well. Also, join a gun club where you can shoot trap or skeet. You'll find people there willing to help you learn to hit what you're shooting at - it isn't as easy as it looks. You should also take the gun to a rifle range to zero your slug barrel.

Above all, remember to be safe.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
You can shoot rifled slugs out of the 28" vent-rib barrel without a problem. The more open the choke, the better it will perform - a Skeet or IC choke would be the best.

The only thing you're giving up is a decent set of sights - barrels with just a bead are really intended for "pointing" rather than "aiming". With a little practice, you should get reasonably proficient out to about 50 yards with a vent rib and a bead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.