Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out working their dogs now? My German Shorthairs have a couple extra pounds on them (so do I) and we are working a couple times a week to get each other in shape and work out our hunting kinks.

We went out tonight to a group of local fields and got up about a dozen quail (too fast to count) and 3 pheasants. I am in Northern California and am mostly a pheasant hunter but quail season opens Sept 1st with wild pheasant opening Nov 8th (hunting clubs on October 18th).

I am pretty stoked up to get out hunting. My dogs are more affectionate than they have been in months. When I walk into the room they perk up and seem to say "we going now? I'm ready!!!".

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Me and my couch taters (cleverly disguised as vizsla's) have been running and working on commands for the last 3 weeks.
My 2.5 year old is in mid-season form and ready for his 3rd campaign against all manner of birds. His younger brother is 6 months old and ready for something he's just not sure what yet.
We can't wait, I'm picking up some quail for training next weekend and the younger one will probably get on board with the program. If anyone has a quail lease in North Texas and doesn't have dogs me and my dogs are available otherwise you can find us on a few farmers fields in parker county that we've managed to get permission to hunt for FREE.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had to tell this story.

Took my dogs out again tonight and had an experience with a hunters worst nightmare....

One dog 10 yards to the right of me on point...
One dog 10 yards to the left of me on point...
Stodgman in the middle with a HUGE smile and a decision to make.
It turns out that both were good choices and I could NOT make a mistake.

GOSH I LOVE THIS :D !!! Other than the stickers (star thistle) I tromped through in shorts I had an unbelieveable evening.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Tuff Spot Stodgman, but you're right what a great spot to be in. Nothing better than YOUR dogs doing what they were breed to do. What kind of dogs do you have, home trained or professionally, where in CA do you hunt?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right there is a sense of "rightness" when a person or a dog is "doing what they were bred to do." That is what is SUPPOSED to happen.

My dogs are German Shorthaired Pointers (GSP). I have a large male that is 4 years old and a little female that is 3. I have only had the female about 10 months and she is really coming around. She was a "kennel dog" raised by a breeder for field trial hunting and had never been part of a family before. Last year she really sucked as a hunter but this year she ROCKS.

I am outside Sacramento in the central valley of California. Most of the valley is farmland and I have friends who have access to hunting acreage. I also belong to a pheasant club that I like.

I took my male to a professional trainer to get him started. He spent about 5 weeks there and then I finished him. Once I had done that I felt I could work the other dog myself. I mean, these are dogs who are MEANT to smell and point birds, all we need to do is focus them a little and teach them what WE want them to do.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The guy I bought my V's from gave me some sage advice.

He said "Teach them sit, stay, whoa and come, then get the hell out of their way, they know how to hunt.

Great advice and my two boys are doing great work. My dachshund thinks he's a bird dog too though since I taught him the same way. Only good thing I suppose is he has more fun chasing cows and eating cow pies than hunting, so I don't have to worry about him finding rabbits and such for the bird dogs to get distracted on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.